Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cool Volleyball Players!

Hey guys! I just thought I'd make a thread for volleyball players to chat. I am a high school volleyball player (varsity libero, thank you very much) and I have already met a few other vb players on NB. Thought this would be a great place to discuss the game, let out our frustrations, give each others tips and whatnot, and bond with fellow queens of the court.
    ~ Larissa

Olympia Primrose
    Waverly Claire ~ Amaryllis Joy
    Holiday Elise ~ Bellamy June ~ Seraphina Daisy
    Genevieve Scout ~ Romilly Violet ~ Laszlo Oliver ~ Darwin Blake
    Gideon Levi ~ Fisher Gray ~ Jasper Elias
    Simon Apollo ~ Orlando Archer
    Phineas Jack

Crushing hard... Saylor Adeline ... Mazarine Alice ... Penrose Elizabeth

Hi! I'm Catalina and this will be my third year of playing volleyball (I played in 7th and 8th grade). My favored position to play is middle blocker, since I am on the tallish side.

I am mainly a cross-country runner but I like volleyball, it's like an extension of cross country.
    ~Tali~

Girls: Ivy, Caroline, Bryony, Augusta, Idony, Adeline, Elizabeth, Sage, Delphine

Boys: Adrian, Halcyon, Everett, Nathaniel, Elliott, Brighton, Theodore, Levi, Camden

I played for 7 years through school and in leagues and such after that. Been rather sporadic since getting married!
    Mostly OH and setter (when they couldn't find someone who really wanted to set!). I'm an okay setter, but I could hit and block all day.

They switched to the whole libero thing a couple years after I left school so I've never played with one.
    Honestly, I find it hard to understand the point. So tell me about your position! What's the purpose of the libero? what does she bring to the game that the average DS doesn't? How does a libero alter a standard 6/2 or 5/1 rotation?

And in general, how's everyone's jump serve? I never quite got great at it. At my peak I could make it work, but had a lot more precision with my normal serve.

Anybody play beach? Had my first foray into 2 on 2 beach this summer, and it was fun! A lot to get used to though.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

I played for six years before choosing not to play in college (I got academic scholarships to better schools than I got athletic offers). I mainly played libero with a little bit of setter and outside hitter thrown in, and I used to coach and give private lessons.

Catalina- volleyball was my second sport too, but I was a soccer player first and foremost.

Kala_way - unlike a DS a libero can sub in for any player (but can only serve for one), doesn't count against your number of substitutions, and can only play on backrow. They don't change the typical 6/2 or 5/1 rotation because usually your libero is in for either your MBs or OHs when they're on back row but the rotation itself doesn't change. Basically your Libero is usually your best DS.

I jump served in high school but it was more of a modified jump float serve than a true jump topspin. It was fairly effective but looked slightly ridiculous.

I always wanted to play beach but I'm fairly short so all I've ever played was just for kicks with some teammates or friends.

Does anyone else have any coaching experience? It gave me a whole different view of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
    Kala_way - unlike a DS a libero can sub in for any player (but can only serve for one), doesn't count against your number of substitutions, and can only play on backrow. They don't change the typical 6/2 or 5/1 rotation because usually your libero is in for either your MBs or OHs when they're on back row but the rotation itself doesn't change. Basically your Libero is usually your best DS.

I jump served in high school but it was more of a modified jump float serve than a true jump topspin. It was fairly effective but looked slightly ridiculous.

I always wanted to play beach but I'm fairly short so all I've ever played was just for kicks with some teammates or friends.

Does anyone else have any coaching experience? It gave me a whole different view of the game.
    Ah, I do remember hearing most of that around re: libero. I guess it's not the sort of things that's necessary in league play I would definitely have not been a good libero. I can hold my own, but as far as I'm concerned the less time I spend in backrow the better.

I have a friend who's barely 5 feet and she's played strictly beach for years now. She used to do tons of tournaments as well. So if the beach is calling, then don't feel like you have to be limited by your height. You may not be Misty May but can still be awesome.

Nope, never coached. Though I've had my share of the good and the bad. I definitely appreciate my great coaches. It's a hard job, especially when you've got a lot of different levels.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin