Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Which names are actually being duplicated in the classroom?

I hear so often that parents are scared to use a name that is popular, for fear of having the last initial added to their child's name (Lily S, Lily W, etc.) if there are students that share the same name in the classroom. I'm a teacher and I know there are many other teachers on nameberry. I was hoping we could list the names that we have in our current classrooms where that is actually necessary. I'm just curious to see how often this ends up happening and with what names.

The only names I have had duplicates of this year are Nicholas (Nick) and Alexander (Alex). I have 2 of each. Last year I had THREE of each in a single class. Other than that I have had no other duplicates this year and last year.

What duplicates have you found in your classrooms?

I think that fear is often unnecessary, it seems to be more of a coincidence when duplicates occur in the classroom.
    Working in a preschool last year, these were the duplicates I heardAus)
    Willow 2
    Thomas 3
    Ella 4
    Gracie 2
    Aiden 3
    Riley 2

Some of these are top ten names, but surely it's more of a coincidence that there were 2 Willows?

I see more repeated names among girls in local birth announcements. I'm not a teacher, so that's how I keep up on the name trends.

In the past few weeks I've noticed multiples of Sara, Brielle, Olivia, Samantha, and Reegan. The only duplicates for boys I've seen are Tristan and Jack. Ottawa skews middle class and conservative, so it isn't often that I hear a creative, edgy name around here.

Here are a handful of names that I've had multiples of frequently in the past few years as teacher. I wouldn't be surprised if other middle and high school teacher had a few of these as well.

Andrew
    Christopher
    Daniel
    Jacob
    Joseph
    Joshua
    Matthew
    Michael
    Nicholas
    Tyler

Amanda
    Ashley
    Brittany
    Elizabeth
    Emily
    Jessica
    Megan
    Samantha
    Sarah
    Taylor
    * 5 easy ways to judge a baby name
    http://nameberry.com/blog/5-easy-way...ge-a-baby-name

* 21 other baby name rules worth following
    http://nameberry.com/blog/no-dumb-na...orth-following

Well there can be flukes (with more unusual names), so popularity doesn't really matter in the end.
    Marko | Susanna | Kit | Rosemary