Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions on repeating long 'o' sound in first & surname?

I'm a lifelong name fanatic and I've always been picky about first and last name pairings. Now I need some name nerd backup.

I've been fixated on the name Josephine ever since discovering that my baby (due February) is a girl. A Nameberry favorite, and I've decided to overlook the fact it's rising in the charts. My question deals with the last name: Olson. (Common enough that I feel fine about sharing it.) Josephine Olson. Josephine Olson.

I can't decide if the repeating long 'o' ties the names together, or if it makes it difficult to say.

I have a speech therapist friend who informed me that technically the two 'o' sounds are slightly different--since the long 'o' in 'Olson' ends up quickly clipped by the 'l' sound. But I want opinions. Do you like how it sounds? Do the repeating vowel sounds bug you, or do you like the repetition? Do they make it harder for you to say--or easier?

We'd most likely use the nickname Josie, but I'm looking for opinions on the full name (which I plan on using, too). Other name contenders are Margaret, Therese, Susannah.

Thanks, all!

I think it sounds ok. Its easy for me to pronounce. Its also my favorite from the names you listed.
    Boys
    Spencer|Benjamin|Henry|Declan|Rhys|Grayson|Peter|Q uinn

Girls
    Laura|Charlotte|Caroline|Savannah|Nora|Natalie|Hel ena

Guilty Pleasures
    River|Sawyer|Moss|Barrett|Sky|Archer

Josephine is lovely, and is not difficult to say with your last name. On the other hand, Josie is a little more difficult to say, not too bad, just a little harder
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

It is a little difficult to say, but not unbearably so.
    Family is Forever <3

How do you feel about Gloria Olson? Nova Olson? Or Rosa Olsa? That's what I feel towards Josephine. I like the fact that you chose a 3 syllable first name with your two syllable surname. Hopefully, your middle name is one syllable.
    * 5 easy ways to judge a baby name
    http://nameberry.com/blog/5-easy-way...ge-a-baby-name

* 21 other baby name rules worth following
    http://nameberry.com/blog/no-dumb-na...orth-following