Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is Leonard better than Leopold? Or maybe Maynard beats them both?

Some days ago, I've asked you about the name Leopold, which I consider for my baby. Your doubts made me think of another similar L-name, Leonard. I think it has a retro chick to stand in a row with Zelda and Dashiell - and you? Maynard was also considered and maybe it's worth re-thinking? Please, share your opinions. I know I'm coming back here with my lists again and again - but believe me: I will not name this kid without nameberry
    Zelda Astrid - 21.02.2011
    Dashiell Roman Leif - 15.05.2013
    Vita Malin - 23.04.2014

Soon-to-be aunt for the first time!

I remember seeing the thread, but unfortunately didn't have time to respond to it (or even read it, really)--what are the concerns with Leopold? Because honestly I adore it, and I was starting to swoon at the thought of the sibset Zelda, Dashiell, and Leopold! I thought it was stunning. What am I missing? I know Leopold's not everyone's favorite (I guess they feel it's a bit pretentious and over-the-top princely?), but I adore it for its princely vibe, and feel like it goes with Zelda and Dashiell very well. I like it much, much more than Leonard or Maynard, both of which feel pretty dorky and musty (although dorky can be cool--both feel like the bad sort of dorky to me? Sorry to be such a downer!).

Good luck!

I do not like Maynard at all. I think Leonard is a much better pick then Leopold. Leopold sounds like a cartoon character to me. I think Leonardo is an even better option.
    Boys
    Spencer|Benjamin|Henry|Declan|Rhys|Grayson|Peter|Q uinn

Girls
    Laura|Charlotte|Caroline|Savannah|Nora|Natalie|Hil lary

Guilty Pleasures
    River|Sawyer|Moss|Barrett|Sky|Archer

Hi @ashthedreamer! Let me explain. There were two objections: serious and ...not so serious. The first is, of course, infamous king Leopold of Belgium and Congo genocide case. It was a hard mind work to do for me too, as I'm jewish and genocide is an important word in my family. For me, the great european naming tradition behind the name Leopold definitely beats this horrible piece of our history. the second objection... Royal Baby is here and the royal names are hot again. I didn't want something superpopular, but love Leopold anyway. And that's why I started with Leonard!
    Zelda Astrid - 21.02.2011
    Dashiell Roman Leif - 15.05.2013
    Vita Malin - 23.04.2014

Soon-to-be aunt for the first time!

Maynard is the friendly old man who sells fresh produce and boiled peanuts on a roadside stand in rural Georgia. A sweet old man, but not really a name for a boy born after WWII. I prefer Leonard over Leopold because Leopold just feels really pretentious to me. Isn't Leonard sort of stereotypically Jewish though? I would prefer to see Lionel or Leon with Zelda and Dashiell.
    ♂ | Samuel ◊ Edward ◊ George ◊ Arthur ◊ Ezra ◊ Gideon ◊ James ◊ Quentin ◊ Solomon ◊ Jasper
    ♀ | Helen ◊ Cora ◊ Anne ◊ Jane ◊ Caroline ◊ Catherine ◊ Gwen ◊ Georgia ◊ Elizabeth ◊ Lydia