Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Question Natural birth...?

I delivered both my son and daughter with an epidural and I've just always thought it was the right decision.
    I'm not big on pain and I thought it's what's best for me and my body. Throughout this pregnancy so far, I just assumed I'd be doing the same with delivering the twins.
    However, I came across an article the other day about it and the pros of it seemed really good to me. ..I've never really done research on the subject before now.
    I'm still hesitant because of pain...but it's something I am definitely looking into now. Especially if it's better for me and the boys.
    I am aware that I may need a c-section but I plan on not doing it unless I have to. I'd really rather not.

I guess I'm looking for more information, other than just 'facts in an article'
    I will be talking to my doctor about this and seeing if he thinks it's the best decision for me or not.
    But for those who have gone through this, or even those who haven't, any advice? I'm really stuck on this. I want to make the right decision.
    My princess [11/24/09], my little man [4/25/10], my munchkin [2/13/12], and my boys [12/3/13]

Who are you to judge the life I live? I’m not perfect and I don’t live to be. But, before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. ~ Bob Marley

~Pertussis (whooping cough) can be a fatal disease, especially in infants~
    Rest peacefully Lily Reece

I had both of mine naturally, and it was definitely the right decision for me. I mean, sure it hurt, but I wasn't really focusing on the pain at the time; I was more concerned with focusing on getting them out lol. Also, I found the stress of the hospital experience to be worse than the pain. #2, born at home, was a great experience.

I have heard that the epidural makes it harder to know what you're doing since you can't feel anything. I think that would be horrible. I very much want to be in tune with my body during birth. I also don't understand why doctors push pain medication during labor&delivery when women are instructed to be very careful about what they put into their bodies during the entire pregnancy. I have heard so many women talk about how out of it their babies were after birth plus trouble with breastfeeding etc. from the drugs in their system. And I'm not judging anyone! Just wondering about anecdotal evidence.
    Mama to Isolde (Feb 2012) & Poet (Aug 2013)
    Crushes:
    Absalom Aslan Aura Beau Chrysanthemum Cocoa Coraline Crow Dandelion Dodger Dragonsong Echo El-ahrairah Fable Hawkeye Hedwig Ivan Kingsmark Ksenia Madrigal Mercury Oz Penna Poem Raspberry Sapphire Snow Sweetbriar Tundra Wit

names and stories and such

Always an option

I'm a huge advocate for natural birth - but also for moms to feel comfortable and empowered with whatever choice they make. The best argument I've ever heard was you should be prepared for any type of birth. Many women go in assuming they're going to have an epidural and never feel an ounce of pain. Then they go into labor quickly or unexpectedly and maybe can't get an epidural because of the speed of their birth. Other women (like me!) plan the perfect natural birth and things don't go as expected and interventions have to be performed. There is no harm in doing all the research you can for both sides then deciding in the moment.

Most women I've talked to who've birthed naturally tell me the pain is not what you expect. No, it's not pleasant, but the way it's presented on TV and movies is unrealistic. I had pitocin which kicks your contractions up about, oh, 100%!!! I fought through the pain and got to 10 cm, but pushed for 2 hrs and baby didn't move at all. I ended up having an epidural so dh and I could get some sleep (we'd been at it for 48 hrs.) And delivered with vacuum assistance. Not what I planned, but it is what it is. I "plan" on this one going a little more smoothly.

I was the opposite of you- I was dead set on a natural birth because I'm petrified of needles and catheters! Our bodies are designed to go through childbirth and pain is really not the worst thing in the world- especially pain that you know will end once the baby's out!
    ~Jen
    Parker Scott (3/8/13)
    baby girl (due 11/14)

Quote Originally Posted by jennifermariska View Post
    I was the opposite of you- I was dead set on a natural birth because I'm petrified of needles and catheters! Our bodies are designed to go through childbirth and pain is really not the worst thing in the world- especially pain that you know will end once the baby's out!
    Me too. I feel exactly the same as this.

But I went in with an open mind, knowing that if it became too much I'd ask for drugs and not beat myself up about it. I wasn't going to turn myself into a martyr if I really couldn't cope but luckily I managed to pull through without needing anything. If the pain had become unmanageable I wouldn't have opposed intervention.

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Alice Tallulah, Polly Matilda, Rosalie Faye, Lucy Annabel, Maya Lillian, Hazel Kate, Eva Blossom, Juliet Lila, Ivy Camille.
    Charles Joshua "Charlie", Theodore Samuel "Teddy", Elliott Daniel, Noah Zachary, James Oscar, Arthur Philip, Rowan Isaac.