Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Baby Boy Coming Soon - No Name - Please Help!

So my wife and I are really struggling with a name for our son (due later this month). We have a daughter already, and her name is Lucy Catherine (which we loved right away). Also note that we have a one syllable last name and prefer simple, strong, classic (though not too popular) names . . . and though you'll see it written a lot below, we don't like William as a first name.

Please provide some thoughts on the names listed below . . . and feel free to offer any other suggestions, etc. Thanks!

1) Thomas Alexis - this is kind of our default, since one of our father's names is Thomas and one is Alexis
    2) John Patrick - this is another default . . . my name is Patrick . . . John is strong, but I think maybe a little boring and, though we love Jack as a nickname, it is so trendy right now
    3) Jack William - again we love Jack, but it is incredibly trendy . . . and again, William is one of our grandparent's names
    3) Arthur William - William is a grandfather's name and Arthur is solid and has many nickname options (Artie), but a little out there maybe
    4) Declan Thomas - like Declan a lot, though I fear it becoming really trendy . . . and Thomas is one of our father's names
    5) Matthew Patrick or Matthew William Welsh - if we chose this, we would call him Mack . . . because we love Mack and we don't want his name to rhyme with mine (Matt and Pat) . . . . and we want to use a saint's name, which is why we wouldn't actually name him Mack . . . . . . but, is Matthew to Mack too much of a nickname stretch?

I really love Lucy Catherine! You have some great boys names! My favs are:

Thomas Alexis
    Jack William
    Arthur William

Lucy Catherine is gorgeous! I can see your dilemma with your boy names as I share some...

I also agree that John is a strong choice, but fear its stigma of being "boring." Jack is a great nickname, but again, very trendy. I'm still considering John because I love it so much, but would probably just stick with John, Johnny or JJ (middle name will start with a J).

Declan has been a top choice of mine for AT LEAST 5 years and now lately it's been dwindling due to its growing popularity. Unfortunately, it's somewhat turned me off to the name. I still love it, of course, but the uncertainty of just how trendy it will get makes me nervous and less likely to actually use it.

Thomas Alexis - I don't like how both names share the same ending. You could go with Thomas Alexander or Alexander Thomas? However, since you call it your "default" name, I'm leaning towards you throwing it out...

Arthur William is definitely strong, but for some reason, I've just never taken to Arthur and don't find Artie to be strong or masculine in the least. The strength of William does help, but it won't help the kid much in everyday life. I much prefer Alfie.

Matthew Patrick is hands down my favorite choice! While both are very traditional, they're great, solid names. I LOOOOVE the idea of using the nickname Mack which makes perfect sense coming from MAtthew PatriCK.

If you're looking for other considerations...

Henry (Harry, Hank, Huck)
    Ross
    Oliver (Ollie)
    Andrew (Andy, Drew)
    Elliot (Eli, Lio/Leo)
    Simon
    Isaac (Ike)
    Edward (Ed/Eddie, Ted/Teddy, Ned)
    Mom to Nora.

Current favorites:
    Declan (Decs/Dex). Griffin (Finn). Euan. John (Johnny).

Sylvie. Iris. Gwyneth (Gwen). Daphne (Effie). Piper.

Lucy and Jack are my favorite names overall. So go with Jack. It just fits so well with Lucy. And Jack isn't trendy, it's classic. If you look at the chart on the nameberry profile, you can see it has remained very steadily in the top 100 for most of the last century. It's not an underused classic, but it sure isn't trendy.
    Names I enjoy:

Girls: Lucy, Elena, Lake, Sylvie

Boys: Jack, Eamon, Sylvan, Theo

Photo by Corey Arnold

What do you think about :

Levi Patrick
    Theodore Patrick nn Theo
    Lawrence William nn Lawrie

I love Matthew Patrick as Mack! But don't be surprised when people hear "Matt" when you say "Mack"
    If you are a little daring you could name your son Mackenzie, which was once more a boy's name than a girl's.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Proud Mommy to....Liam Anthony

Name Loving <3
    Collin Robert...Micah Scott...Oliver Thomas
    Juliette Claire...Kathryn Rose...Genevieve Patrice...Vivian Joy...Charlotte Bomina