Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How did you meet your SO?

I know some may have already shared their stories, but I thought it would be nice to have them all in one place.
    I love hearing these stories

--

I used the online dating site Plenty of Fish, not regularly but I'd browse it every few months.
    I decided to log on one day and noticed I had a message that was about 2 or 3 months old. I clicked on it because I recognized the profile picture.
    I told him right away that I was sure I knew him from somewhere.
    We talked for a few days and I asked him to meet me after work (which I never do, in the past I've always talked to guys for a few weeks before even thinking of meeting). Right away I noticed he was wearing a Claddagh ring (a traditional Irish ring given which represents love, loyalty, and friendship) I had only seen two others in my city wear them (both older men) so I asked him right away.
    We started talking about our Irish heritage and he mentioned his last name. Right away I told him that I recognized his name.
    Talking a the phone one night we started going through our friends on facebook but didn't have any significant mutual friends, it was "You know Erin, I work with her husband" as such.
    A few dates later, I can't remember how it came up, I mentioned something and he was like you went to ''W.W'' School? Turns out we were in elementary/primary school together. He was 3 years ahead of me but I knew a number of his friends.
    We ended up talking for 3 hours about classmates and teachers. We were also in Grease together, he was Teen Angel and I was a dancer. Even though he's 29 I call him my teen angel sometimes.
    I like to think I met my soulmate when I was 9, I just didn't know what a soulmate was at that age.
    Auntie to Connor Douglas (June 2012) & Parker Isabella (Oct 2013)

~*Ariadne*Celeste*Esmé*Deirdre*Linnéa*~
    ~*Cian*Everett*Julian*Soren*Theodore*~

My full list here. Please comment and I'll comment on yours
    I believe that maturity has more to do with what types of experiences you've had and what you've learned from them and less to do with how many birthdays you've celebrated.

(Not currently expecting or TTC)

Aw, that is so sweet!

My SO and I met through my sisters. My youngest sister, Alisha, joined the Army in 2006 and met her now husband, David, when they were both stationed in Texas in 2008. He "wasn't ready for a relationship" but then when she started dating other guys he got jealous and changed his mind. They got married in August 2009 when she was about to be sent to Korea and they decided they didn't ever want to be apart (aw, I get to tell two love stories). David is from Pennsylvania, and is a little bit of an odd ball. It was his goal, when he found out Alisha had two older sisters, to set Marissa and I up with his two best friends from PA so we would be one big happy family. Zach was older, tall, and a ginger (which Mar loves) so he was for Mar. Jared was my same height (around 5 feet - shorty!) and more academic (like me) so he was meant for me. Well, Mar was all for it. They pushed her and Zach together, the two talked online for a while, met, visited each other a bunch, and then Mar moved to live with him in PA in late 2010. They are now engaged and getting married in August of next year. I was more resistant. I met Jared in April of 2011 at Alisha's baby shower. I, honestly, was not a fan of him, but mainly because he showed up with this other really creepy, disgusting guy and I associate the two of them. I told Alisha after that I had no interest, and he apparently didn't either (not that we really interacted that much, but we did tie for the win playing Apples to Apples, haha). We went on our merry ways. Then, in November of 2011 I was living in Virginia and Alisha invited me to Thanksgiving in Texas. I was all set to drive there when, lo and behold, Jared was going, too. Wouldn't it be nice if we drove together? The blatant set-up by Davis was not lost on either of us, but it was a lot easier to go together, so we did. It was good, if a little awkward - we barely knew each other, had only met the once. But the trip went well... I still wasn't impressed with him, but we were friendly. After, we kept in touch via text. I kind of caught on that he liked me, which both my sisters confirmed. I wasn't into a long distance thing so I kept him "in the friend-zone" as they say. I realize now that I was developing a crush on him, as well, but I didn't want to admit it because I was so adamantly against it in the beginning, so giving in would be a victory for David. He came and visited me in VA, and it was a good time. We kept texting back and forth. Then I got a new job, and he was the first person I wanted to tell, so I really couldn't even hide it from myself anymore. I went to PA on my way back up north to start my new job. My nephew was being baptized. We hung out a few times, he told me he liked me and wanted to be more than friends. I said we should just be friends (I am pretty stubborn) because I was in a state of flux, and didn't know how a long distance would work (I'm in New England). So we hung out the day before I was heading home. And I didn't want to leave him. And I told him as much. And we were long distance for about 10 months before he moved up here to be with me. And I'm never letting him go
    Ladies
    Avery Elizabeth Celine ~ Caroline Frances Lucille ~ Clarity Anneliese Kate
    Josephine Louisa Danielle ~ Rosemary Margaret Jayne

&
    Gentlemen
    Elijah Laurence Rhys ~ Ezra William Beau ~ Julian Samuel John
    Logan Christopher Knightley ~ Theodore David Henry

Literary GP Combos
    Charlotte Pemberley Jane ~ Philippa Austen Rose

Wedding first, September 2015 - baby soon after? *fingers crossed*

I can't wait to read everyone's story! I love this mushy stuff!

I met Jonathan in February 2010 while working in a coffee shop. He was actually on a date with another woman. I could tell they were both miserable and having a terrible time. He came up to the register to pay and I told him that I would cover it. I was on a kick of doing nice things as often as I could (which I really should try getting back to) and I considered it my "good deed" for the day. I remember he smiled and told me that I seemed "like the kind of person that would be nice to have around on a bad day." I think I was completely mesmerized by his smile because my response was so atypical for me, but I said, "Well, you know where to find me." By the end of my shift, I'm pretty sure I had forgotten it and would have never thought of it again, but fate has a way of intervening.

When I arrived for work the next evening, he was waiting for me in the coffee shop. He walked up, introduced himself, and asked me out on a date. I said yes, but I was hesitant to do so. Regardless, we went out on our first date and it went really well. There was an immediate connection that made all of my doubt and reservations fly out the window.

He proposed in December of that year (which is one of my favorite stories to tell), we were married in May 2011, and now are expecting a baby boy in February! It's crazy to think that if one little thing (like he and his date choosing that coffee shop on a night I was working, me deciding to pay his bill, me working the next night when he came in) would have been different, I might not have this wonderful love story.
    Step-Mother to three lovely children - Josiah Lewis (14), Stella Evangeline (8), and Emma Catherine (4)

Expecting Baby Chicken on February 3, 2014
    It's a boy!
    Rhys Andrew, Milo Andrew, Conrad Henry, or August Henry/August Charles

Very sweet! I love reading these stories and look forward to more
    Auntie to Connor Douglas (June 2012) & Parker Isabella (Oct 2013)

~*Ariadne*Celeste*Esmé*Deirdre*Linnéa*~
    ~*Cian*Everett*Julian*Soren*Theodore*~

My full list here. Please comment and I'll comment on yours
    I believe that maturity has more to do with what types of experiences you've had and what you've learned from them and less to do with how many birthdays you've celebrated.

(Not currently expecting or TTC)

Great thread! Can't wait to read everyone's stories. Cora, I'd love to hear how your hubby proposed

I think my story might be less cute than most, but here goes. I actually don't remember meeting my SO, because I was a baby and he was a little kid. Basically, his mother is my mother's best friend from high school, and also my godmother. My mom is his older sister's godmother also. So we've always known each other. He was pretty much the first person I ever had a persistent crush on, and everybody knew it, which was embarrassing. I never figured anything would ever happen though, because he always had more of the older guy friend/pseudo-family role in my life and most of our interactions were through family functions.

Well, fast forward to my college years, I was dating a guy who was actually a jerk to me (which I didn't realize then), and M was in a long distance relationship that eventually fell flat, and we would talk and flirt occasionally. Not great, I know, but I figured it was all innocent. When the guy and I broke up, he was the only one who was really there for me. The next time he was in town we figured we'd grab a drink and talk, and he ended up kissing me. A couple weeks later we ended up in bed, but neither of us wanted a relationship at the time so we said it'd be a one-time thing. Of course it wasn't... about 3 months in I realized I had feelings for him and we tried to call it off, but kept coming back to each other. All told I think it was a year after that that we decided to commit. It took that long to try and sort out not only our feelings but also our families, because fortunately or unfortunately our families are very close and a bad relationship between us could mess everything up. I still worry about that actually, haha, but the families seem to be okay with it now after some initial weirdness. We still try and keep it kind of subtle in front of them though. So that's our weird story!
    "I have found the one whom my soul loves"
    k m

Florence Beatrix Guinevere Helena Vivian
    August Barnaby Roland Whitney Atlas