Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need some help naming my baby girl

She's currently called Peanut, but I'm not sure that's suitable for a child haha I like rare, kind of strange names, and I'm not sure if they'd fit a child or if they're just going to be laughed at. I don't have a big list right now, but it's constantly growing.

Aline - My mother always said that this was her first choice for my name, but that my dad didn't love it so they chose Yerin instead. I like it, it's sweet but I'm not sure if everyone will get the pronunciation right.
    Demetria - This is the newest one. I heard it on a show called Atlantis last night and I'm falling for it. The only thing is I hate the nickname Demi.
    Ib - I know, it's stupid. It's pronounced EE-b but once again I don't think everyone would get that. I like that it's short and simple, those are my favourite kinds of names. But how would I pair it up with a middle name?
    Eni - I'm not sure how this one is pronounced, I was thinking like EE-knee? Another short simple one, could it be a nickname for a longer name maybe?
    Dominique - I just love the sound of it, but the man doesn't like it so much.
    Frances - I was hoping to honor my grandad and use this as a middle name because I think it might be to old fashioned for a baby girl.

I know my choices are kind of odd, but I love them. What do you guys think? And do you have any suggestions that I could add to the list?

Congrats on your pregnancy and welcome to Nameberry. From your list, Aline and Demetria are very beautiful. I think Frances would make a lovely mn choice (I like it for a first name too). Ib and Eni are just not my cup of tea. They look too short and lack substance. Dominique is ok but a little "dated" like a lot of the "ique" names (Monique and Angelique). Have you considered another version of Domininque like Dominica? Always remember that you're naming an "adult" not just a child. We spend most of our lives as mature adults so a name should be suitable for all ages.

Combo Suggestions

Demetria Frances
    Aline Frances
    Dominica Frances
    All the best,
    Mischa.

You have a cool list!

Aline -- This is pretty and rare but not too "out-there." I assume it is pronounced ah-LEAN. Is that correct? If so, I think the pronunciation will not be too much of a problem and the name is a great choice!

Demetria -- This name is absolutely beautiful! Very regal and sophisticated. It is problematic that you don't like Demi though, because it will probably get shortened to Demi often unless you choose another nickname. I can see Etta, Mia, or Metria working as nicknames. Do you like any of those?

Ib -- I definitely do not think this would work as a name. The pronunciation is not clear based on the spelling and it is hard to picture the name on an adult. Ebony or Ivy would be better alternatives.

Eni -- the EE-knee pronunciation reminds me of the word "teeny." : /

Dominique -- The name is not my style, but it does work.

Frances -- I agree that this is a little too old-fashioned to be useable.

Some other names you might like:
    Lanti
    Neve
    Antonia
    Sylvie

I hope that helps!
    Not expecting, just planning and building lists!

Quote Originally Posted by yerinfairfax View Post
    She's currently called Peanut, but I'm not sure that's suitable for a child haha I like rare, kind of strange names, and I'm not sure if they'd fit a child or if they're just going to be laughed at. I don't have a big list right now, but it's constantly growing.

Aline - My mother always said that this was her first choice for my name, but that my dad didn't love it so they chose Yerin instead. I like it, it's sweet but I'm not sure if everyone will get the pronunciation right.
    Demetria - This is the newest one. I heard it on a show called Atlantis last night and I'm falling for it. The only thing is I hate the nickname Demi.
    Ib - I know, it's stupid. It's pronounced EE-b but once again I don't think everyone would get that. I like that it's short and simple, those are my favourite kinds of names. But how would I pair it up with a middle name?
    Eni - I'm not sure how this one is pronounced, I was thinking like EE-knee? Another short simple one, could it be a nickname for a longer name maybe?
    Dominique - I just love the sound of it, but the man doesn't like it so much.
    Frances - I was hoping to honor my grandad and use this as a middle name because I think it might be to old fashioned for a baby girl.

I know my choices are kind of odd, but I love them. What do you guys think? And do you have any suggestions that I could add to the list?
    I like Aline and Demetria. Ib is OK.

Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot