Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cars?

Cars?

So I live in the US, and I'm about to start looking at pre-owned cars for my first car that's officially in my name. I've had two cars prior: a 1990 Toyota Celica was my first car, and a 1997 Honda CR-V is what I currently drive. My mom and I are sharing the Honda CR-V right now, but I just got my first full-time job so I need to start thinking about getting one for myself. (Technically the CR-V is/was "my" car before my mom's broke down, but it's in her name and she can't afford to be the one to purchase another car due to financial issues.)

I'm looking for a car that's safe, reliable, and gas efficient (would love a hybrid but can't afford one - basically if I'm going to have a car payment/higher insurance I'd like to save on gas and repairs). I really like my Honda, but I've had a lot of issues with the car including replacing the entire engine the year after I got it, and one of my mom's coworkers had the same problem with a different model of car, so I'm a bit wary.

Anyone have any experience with pre-owned cars or advice for a first-time car buyer, good or bad? I do plan to take my mechanic, who is also a friend, to the dealership with me so I don't get ripped off like when we got my CR-V. TIA
    "I have found the one whom my soul loves"
    k ♥ m

Guinevere · Vivian · Florence · Lilleba · Beatrix
    August · Barnaby · Roland · Lester · Whitney

I don't know if it exactly fits what you are looking for, but for me, the car is a Chevy Sonic. It's small, doesn't have much space in the trunk, but it's a great little car. It's also pretty gas efficient. I wish you luck- and do you name your cars? That's where the fun really lies...
    ~Mehri

I drive a 1992 toyota carolla and so far it's been pretty good. We've had it for 2 years and had to replace a couple of things but for a 20 year old car with close to 250,000 miles (that we only paid $500 for) we haven't had to do too much to it. Overall it's reliable and gets great gas mileage (about 30 mpg). So I recommend a toyota car, of any model really. It would obviously be better to get one newer than mine, but it would last you a while, get good gas mileage (most likely,look up mpg for whatever make and model you're looking at), and older ones (early 2000's and before) are pretty cheap.
    ~ Elisabeth Odelia "Elsie" ~ Gideon Boone ~
    ~ Adelheid Ruby "Addie Rue" ~ Theodore Solomon "Teddy"~
    ~ Casilda Josephine "Cassie Jo" ~ Zaccheaus Westley "Zeke" ~

Quote Originally Posted by merrybells View Post
    I don't know if it exactly fits what you are looking for, but for me, the car is a Chevy Sonic. It's small, doesn't have much space in the trunk, but it's a great little car. It's also pretty gas efficient. I wish you luck- and do you name your cars? That's where the fun really lies...
    Oh, I do name my cars! I totally forgot, if anyone wants to throw out some car names that's great too! My first car was black and his name was Cory Decimus... Cory short for Corbin which means raven, and Decimus was after the fact that he was a tank and decimated everything I ever hit with him (mostly things like fire hydrants and cones). The CR-V's name is Nikita Bonita Splendifora the Honda, Nikita because my mom thinks if you try to say CR-V like it's a word without vowels it sounds Russian, the rest just rhymed

@averelladavina - Thanks, I love Toyota! It's one of my top choices, I think, for a used car because they last forever. I'd love a Prius or Yaris, but used Priuses are hard to come by.
    "I have found the one whom my soul loves"
    k ♥ m

Guinevere · Vivian · Florence · Lilleba · Beatrix
    August · Barnaby · Roland · Lester · Whitney

My only advice would have been to take your mechanic, haha! I just bought my first car last summer--it's a 1998 Chrysler Cirrus. It was only $2,000 and had around 100,000 miles on it, and for what I was able to pay, it seemed like a pretty good deal. We test drove it and we both really loved it--my dad loved it so much that he said he was going to buy it if I didn't. I got it home, and then the weekend after, the check engine light came on. In the little over a year that I've had it, I've put in just as much (if not more!) money into fixing it than I did into buying it. I have had to get the brakes fixed twice, the engine fixed once, and the engine needs to be fixed again, because apparently the part they replaced to keep the spark plugs from misfiring was faulty, and there wasn't a warranty on the part they put into my car. :/ Now the oil light is coming on every time I hit the brakes (even when I check the oil and it's exactly where it's supposed to be!). And occasionally the steering locks up when I'm in reverse; there's just so many problems! Honestly, it's just a lemon. I don't know if other Chryslers are like this, but I'm tempted to never buy a Chrysler again. :/ Before that, I'd used my parents' cars--both were Chevy Luminas--and I'd always had a fairly good experience with them. One of them had a lot of problems with the coolant leaking, even after it was fixed, but it was an old car and I'd used it for years before that seemed to happen, and the second Lumina I had was great.

I've always heard Honda Civics have great track records and I've always wanted one, but I just couldn't afford it when I bought Liddy. :/ If it didn't have so many problems, I would LOVE her, too--I love the way she handles, and drives, she just feels so sturdy and put together compared to my sister's car. It's not too big; it's not too little--the gas mileage feels much better than the two Chevys I'd driven previously. I was excited about starting my future with that car; with driving it for years. But ugh. Don't buy a Cirrus. hahaha.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Grace + Eleni
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Caspar + Grant + Rory