Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is this cruel?

Is this cruel?

One of my top girl's names from the time I was in elementary school has been Charlotte with the nickname Lottie after a childhood hero. I've never even considered any other nicknames for my potential future Charlotte. However, I was horror struck when updating my name combo idea list with my new husband's last name, Carys (pronounced to rhyme with Harris) that people might call our Charlotte, Carrie Carys. This seems an awful thing to do, like when parents name their kids William Williams or things like that. I still love Charlotte though and would never consider using any nickname other than Lottie. so my question is what do you all think, is this cruel or just an unfortunate coincidence?

I have never heard of any Charlotte who went by Carrie! It's not cruel- totally safe. There is no intuitive nn for Charlotte if you ask me, besides maybe Char. So if you want her to only be Charlotte or Lottie, that shouldn't be hard to accomplish. I wouldn't worry! And Lottie Carys actually sounds super cute

I've never heard of Carrie as a nn for Charlotte either, just Char and Lottie. I think it's a pretty name, go for it!

Nah. I don't think most Charlottes go by "Carrie". Carrie is more of a stand-alone or a nickname for Caroline.
    Mom to James Daniel (10) William Joseph (9), Elise Marie (7), and Zachary Allan (1)
    http://letterstoauntkay.blogspot.com/

TTC #5
    Serena (Seri), Audrey, Naomi, Diana, Kate, Adele, Georgia, Lucy, Linnea, Clara
    Thomas Christopher, Henry, Orin, Arthur, Samuel

DH's "approved" list:
    Seri, Naomi, Amy, Diana, Lucy, Kate/Katie/Katherine, Audrey
    Thomas ("maybe")

Thank you for your kind reply, which made me realize to my extreme embarrassment all the cold medicine I'm on has made me brain damaged, no wonder I'd never considered the combo a problem before because it's a non-issue for Charlotte, although any future Carolines seem like a poor idea lol. I'd better log out of Nameberry for the duration of my cold before I start a thread about the issue of Edwards being nicknamed Billy. Although I'm very relieved my favorite name is problem free!
    Last edited by grenth; October 6th, 2013 at 12:45 AM.