Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1. and 7. The Bird Girl, Who Flies Through the Air with the Greatest of Ease

1. I need a name for my female main character.

Genre of Story: Slipstream/Fantasy

Time Period/Location: contemporary USA and fantasy world on par with a medieval setting

Brief Plot: Bird Girl and August were raised by a mother whose stories of her past were stranger and more terrifying than any fairy tale. When she disappears, Bird Girl and August follow a trail of secrets to her childhood home. Once there, they search for a mysterious door they believe she has gone through.

Character Description: Bird Girl was born in magic world created by mother, but was brought into real world when she was a toddler. Raised with brother and mother in small town, USA. Girl is part bird. Her father is a race of bird people loosely inspired by the Caladrius from mythology. From them, girl has inherited the ability to fly and the ability to "see" and "heal" people's futures. Has no realistic future goals for herself, except finding this world she believes her mother created. Immature for her age (which is 16). Socially awkward. She scrapes by in school, but has no interest in any subject. After her mother disappears, she drops out of school. August encourages her to continue, but he doesn't push. Prone to panic attacks, terrified of being abandoned by August, with whom she is very co-dependent. She enjoys running when she's not allowed to fly (for fear of being seen). She's a devoted follower of her mother's made up religion, which worships seasonal gods. Included is a rough painting I've started of her. Sometimes it helps me name a character, but no such luck so far with her.
    http://s22.postimg.org/mcoomsj5p/birdg.jpg

Immediate Family: Emily (mother) August (brother) Phineas (father) Gilbert (uncle)

Already Considered: Thisbe, Saskia, Saga

Don’t Suggest These Names: Ivy, Nell, Ramona, Margot, Beatriz, any obvious bird name (Wren, Kestrel, Lark, Robin)

Anything else?: Willing to reconsider Saga or Saskia, but hoping to find something that I find more in tune with her. They feel a little fiercer than my bird girl is. She find strength through her journey, but is a rather timid girl. Word names are fine, if it's like August or Saga and feels like a name. Her theme song is Arrival of the Birds by The Cinematic Orchestra

7. I am also desperate for a title. This has been Untitled for too long and it's driving me nuts.

Thing Description: Book title, see above for info about book. The magic world Emily created is called the Wilderlands.

Already Considered: Crown the Witches, Arrival of the Birds (still in the running), The Winter God

Don’t Suggest These Names: Caladrius, Wilderlands, The Bird Girl

Anything else?: I realize it's difficult to name a book not having read it. If it helps, I tend to like book titles that are pieces of a poem or lyrics from a song, so you could suggest a poem or song that fits the theme and it might inspire me. Something to do with birds, faith, redemption. This is August's story as well. August is destined to become the god of winter, in charge of souls. He hasn't believed in any of this in a long time, and part of his journey is learning to believe as strongly as his sister does.
    Considering...
    Annika, Artemis, Bianca, Cassandra, Catherine, Evadne, Felicity, Gwendolen, Isabeau, Isadora, Juniper,
    Lorelei, Lyra, Octavia, Pandora, Petra, Sunniva, Thisbe, Thora

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian, Conrad, Damian, Desmond, Evander, Everett, Ezra, Griffin, Gwydion, Malachi,
    Peregrine, Phineas, Theodore

click for my name lists
    our furbabies: Sebastian and Oleander

I can't help you with a title as I'm generally terrible with this also. But your story sounds fascinating! Your painting is awesome too. I'll try to help you the best I can as I like to think I'm fairly good at character naming (except in my sci-fi book, which I asked for help about on here with little help )

Meaning names:

Bilhah -- timid, bashful
    Gwerful -- completely shy
    Lajila -- shy
    Tiombe -- one who is shy
    Hadya -- guide, leader, calm, quiet
    Janoah -- a calm and quiet child
    Tacita -- quiet, silent, mute

Ironic names:

Chandi -- angry, fierce, moon, shining
    Imara -- strong
    Isana -- strong willed woman
    Kinah -- strong willed
    Llewella -- shining one, lion like, leader -- I love this one for her

Random names that fit the picture:

Jocelyn
    Roseline
    Avila
    Aviva
    Giona -- resembling the bird of peace
    Kanoni
    Loa
    Flora
    Fauna
    Pippa
    Willow
    Blythe
    Avalon
    Fable
    Whimsy
    Solace
    Winsome

Do you like any?
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Try.

name for girl.

Aviana- Bird
    Mavis- Songbird
    Avis- Bird
    Sephora/Seffora- Bird
    Mariposa- Butterfly
    Althea- with healing power
    Rafaela- heal
    Galen- Healer

titles-
    Wings
    Flight
    Desperately seeking Flight/Emily
    miranda, writer
    history enthusiast/buff and self-proclaimed fangirl

rafael • adrian • emmett • aaron • jared
    raynor • niccolo • richard • philip • frederick • james • alfred

ingrid • sybil • evelyn • amalia • cosima
    helena • leonor • blanche • florence • arbella • freja • augusta

I forgot to comment on your title choices :P

Of yours, I like Crown the Witches. It's cool, but I don't know if it's relevant to your story or not. I also like Winter Reborn. Do you?
    I know you said poems and stuff would help. Maybe these will help you:

"I had no more alphabet
    than the swallows in their courses,
    the tiny, shining water
    of the small bird on fire
    which dances out of the pollen. "

"The caged bird sings
    with fearful trill
    of the things unknown
    but longed for still
    and his tune is heard
    on the distant hill for the caged bird
    sings of freedom"

"Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
    the world offers itself to your imagination,
    calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting"

"Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine" -- I don't know why this one works for me. This one and the last were from Mary Oliver

“The reason birds can fly and we can't is simply because they have perfect faith, for to have faith is to have wings.”
    ― J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird

"I followed the road to nowhere
    Feeling the need to stay there.
    I'm searching for a new beginning,
    Want to wander, with head still spinning"

"It takes a man with real heart to make beauty out of the stuff that makes us weep.” -- Clive Barker

"Was it you or I who stumbled first? It does not matter. The one of us who finds the strength to get up first, must help the other.” Vera Nazarian

“In the end, it is our defiance that redeems us.” ― Mark Rowlands

“To be saved is here, local and mortal” ― A.R. Ammons

“...I've known damnable beauty - the turgid pull of swirling blackness - but in the end, it's futile - purity alone redeems...” ― John Geddes

“A rock was sticking out of the water, jagged and pointed, covered with moss--a remnant of the Ice Age. It had withstood the rains, the snows, the frost, the heat. It was afraid of no one. It did not need redemption, it had already been redeemed.”
    Isaac Bashevis Singer

This got to be VERY long. I'm sorry! I was inspired while helping you >.>
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Hmm, yes, thank you Dantea. I like quite a few of them. I'm usually really good at naming my characters and books. This one though is just argh! I think I made the mistake of falling madly in love with this world, and nothing is going to be good enough. I'l take a look at your thread and see if I can help you out.

Llewella is very nearly perfect. It may be just right. I'll have to mull it over for a few days. I hadn't considered something Welsh for her. I took a quick look at some Welsh lists and Dilys is another I've never heard, but almost feels right.

Miranda, I totally forgot about Sephora and her variants! Thank you. I'm going to think that one over as well. The titles aren't quite right for me, but I do appreciate your input.

Thank you both.
    Considering...
    Annika, Artemis, Bianca, Cassandra, Catherine, Evadne, Felicity, Gwendolen, Isabeau, Isadora, Juniper,
    Lorelei, Lyra, Octavia, Pandora, Petra, Sunniva, Thisbe, Thora

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian, Conrad, Damian, Desmond, Evander, Everett, Ezra, Griffin, Gwydion, Malachi,
    Peregrine, Phineas, Theodore

click for my name lists
    our furbabies: Sebastian and Oleander