Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Too old ladish or not ?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes , its too old ladish

16 16.67%
  • No , its not

80 83.33%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    @isabellemarie : Thanks I didnt know it is consider a hipster name .Interesting information .

I also agree it's not "old-ladyish" at all. It's very retro-chic, in my opinion. "Hipster" was also a good description. I absolutely love the name Hazel. It's spunky yet sweet. My former neighbor has a girl who is about 12 named Hazel. She is beautiful with long brown hair, bright blue eyes and is a combination of tomboy and girly girl. She is also a sweetheart and was the "big sister" of all the little kids in the neighborhood.
    Mom to Nora.

Current favorites:
    Declan James (Dex). Griffin James (Finn). Euan James. Graham Jameson. August James (Gus). John Jameson (Johnny). Wesley James (Wes).

Gwyneth Eliza (Gwen). Elise Hannah. Lucy Johanna. Josephine Maeve (Josie). Bronwen Elise (Bonnie). Eve Johanna (Evie). Bonnie Eliza.

Well, it is old ladyish because it was very popular a century ago. But there are many names from then that are still being used or are gaining popularity. Hazel is one of those. I am not fond of the name and if I were to choose a color baby name, I am liking the name Violet more than hazel. A child can pull off either of the names though.

While there are plenty of old ladies who answer to the name, I find it spunky and energetic. Obviously, lots of other Americans do too, based on it's massive leaps in popularity since Julia Roberts used it. I'd probably avoid it if I lived in a particularly hip neighborhood, if you don't want your kid to be one of several she knows.
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training

It's a hipster favorite in the US. Even though I've never met a Hazel, it doesn't strike me as geriatric. I suspect the upcoming film adaptation of The Fault in Our Stars will help cement it as a "young" name.