Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Too close for a sib-set?

My husband and I have been talking a lot about names recently. We are definitely going to use Rupert if we have a boy because it honors his family but we both also love the name Prudence for a girl. If we have a girl first but have a boy later, we'd still want to use Rupert...but if we have all girls, I might be sad I never used the name Prudence. What do you think?

On a totally different and less important note...I love nicknames and very much want to call each of our kids by one. For Rupert, he'd probably go by Rupert all of the time, unless we called him Rupe conversationally...but what about Rex? It's normally a nn for Reginald, but Rupert has the requisite "r" and "e"... I suppose it would depend on if it fit him. Suppose you met a Rex and you were surprised to find how well it fit him...and then you found out his full name was Rupert--would you love it or hate it?

And on the topic of nn's, what is your favorite for Prudence? Pru? Prudy? Denny? something else? Mine is probably Pru...but then Rupe...that's why I worry the names are too similar for siblings.

Sorry this is so stream-of-thought. I hope you can follow it and I would really appreciate some outsider perspective. Thanks!

First of all, let me tell you, I absolutely love Prudence and Rupert.
    I think it would work really well as a sibset! They have the "ru" sound in common, but it isn't too noticeable and I actually think it gives them something in common in the sense that it makes them really belong together.
    Rupe as a nn for Rupert is delicious. As to Rex... He could probably pull it off, but I don't love it. I would definitely find it odd. I also still associate this nn to Rex, the police dog from the tv show "Inspector Rex".
    Prudy is my favorite nn for Prudence. It's just adorable. Rupe and Prudy sounds quite nice!
    Beatriz
    (bee-ah-treesh)
    Loves books, tea, art, history, music, horses and names.

Amelia Charlotte ● Clarisse May ● Elizabeth Victoria "Eliza" ● Fleur Isabelle ● Louisa Hazel "Lou" ● Rosalie Claire "Rosie" or "Rosiclair" ● Francesca Maude "Frankie" ● Georgiana Blair "Georgie" ● Theresa Adelaide "Tess"

Frederick Archer ● Everett Lloyd ● Theodore Eames "Theo" ● Matthew Howard ● Frank Holden ● Edmund Wyatt ● Thomas Mendel ● Elliott Leopold "Leo" ● Taddeus Jude "Tad"

I should probably add that the Inspector Rex reference problem will probably only actually be a problem in Europe. I don't even know why I mentioned it, since most people here are American. Sorry about that!
    Beatriz
    (bee-ah-treesh)
    Loves books, tea, art, history, music, horses and names.

Amelia Charlotte ● Clarisse May ● Elizabeth Victoria "Eliza" ● Fleur Isabelle ● Louisa Hazel "Lou" ● Rosalie Claire "Rosie" or "Rosiclair" ● Francesca Maude "Frankie" ● Georgiana Blair "Georgie" ● Theresa Adelaide "Tess"

Frederick Archer ● Everett Lloyd ● Theodore Eames "Theo" ● Matthew Howard ● Frank Holden ● Edmund Wyatt ● Thomas Mendel ● Elliott Leopold "Leo" ● Taddeus Jude "Tad"

Quote Originally Posted by eleanortilney View Post
    First of all, let me tell you, I absolutely love Prudence and Rupert.
    I think it would work really well as a sibset! They have the "ru" sound in common, but it isn't too noticeable and I actually think it gives them something in common in the sense that it makes them really belong together.
    Rupe as a nn for Rupert is delicious. As to Rex... He could probably pull it off, but I don't love it. I would definitely find it odd. I also still associate this nn to Rex, the police dog from the tv show "Inspector Rex".
    Prudy is my favorite nn for Prudence. It's just adorable. Rupe and Prudy sounds quite nice!
    Thanks for your response!! :-) I like that you think the names "belong" together...would it change your mind if I told you we plan to have 3 children? So Rupe and Pru would go together but would the third feel left out in some way or just look odd with the others? Our other two favorites at the moment are Arthur and Lyra...would any of those names combined in a sib-sets work well together?

Rupert and Prudence are a little matchy with the Ru and Pru beginnings but I don't think that's a deal-breaker. They sound different enough so they would be fine. Now, if you add Arthur to your sibset, all of the children would share a "u". Rupert, Prudence and Arthur have a British vibe to them. Lyra would be the oddity but who says you have to continue any pattern for future children. The most important thing is that you LOVE the names.
    All the best,
    Mischa.