Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Terra vs Tara

Quote Originally Posted by mischa View Post
    Terra and Tara are TWO different names and have no relation to each other. Tara is the sacred place where the ancient Irish kings once resided. It means "rocky hill" or "elevated place". It should be pronounced "TAR-uh" not like Sarah. Terra means "earth". If you want to pronounce the name like Sarah, then use Terra.
    I have always seen Tara prn Terra/Sarah. I have only heard British people say Tar-uh. But that is just my experience. I personally prefer Tara. It looks softer and more feminine.

I agree with Mischa. Tara is tar-uh, Terra is like Sarah. They're different with different meanings and histories and roots.

If you want "rhymes with Sarah" choose Terra.

For me personally, I LOVE Terra. I love that it's a word name but it's not super obviously, and I love the sound. I LOVE Tara too, in its own way. It has a different, softer sound to me and I love the meaning and history.

So of the two, for you, Terra would be better.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

Kith nor Kin -- http://kithnorkin.blogspot.com/ Chapter 30 and Epilogue is up. It's done!
    Angel's Art -- https://www.facebook.com/danteasart
    http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

I would use Tara. For the record, the only Tara I know pronounces it like Sarah, not tar-uh.
    ~Larissa

~ Giving up Nameberry for Lent; See you on the 14th of April! ~

If you want it to sound like Sarah then spell it Terra.

Tara does not rhyme with Sarah. Its origins are Irish and Sanskrit, and both pronounce it 'tar-ah'. Some Americans just insist on pronouncing it wrong (as a Tara, it's very annoying)

Shea * Jade * Azure * Fox * Greer * Blaise
    Lotus * Tallulah * Noor * Jasper * Linden * Arden

Quote Originally Posted by nat108 View Post
    If you want it to sound like Sarah then spell it Terra.

Tara does not rhyme with Sarah. Its origins are Irish and Sanskrit, and both pronounce it 'tar-ah'. Some Americans just insist on pronouncing it wrong (as a Tara, it's very annoying)
    Some Americans? I'd say that most of America pronounce it as rhyming with Sarah.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey