Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can't decide

Can't decide

I am really loving Isadora and Isis at the moment but cannot choose.

What do you think? Any middle name ideas? and nicknames? I really don't like "dora" or "issy" that much for Isadora

This is a question dear to my heart and I'll be watching the thead.

I love the concept of Isis but it's got a lot of baggage. My husband said he finds it jarring to consider on a daughter as pale and Irish-last-named as any daughter of his is likely to be, too.

I prefer the more Isis-y spelling Isidora to Isadora, which reminds me more of Isabella, which I don't like *nearly* as much. Dora is not a plus, but Isidora does have a certain low-key vintage quality that Isis doesn't? I can picture more vintage names I like going with Isidora than with Isis.

Isidra is maybe my favourite, but the most obscure of all three. It's a Spanish variant of Isidora.

I would use Izzy for short, but I know not everyone likes Izzy. I find it fairy spunky. Issy looks lispier to me, and I dislike Dora very much.

I like:
    Isis Liora
    Isis Jessamine
    Isis Rafaela
    Isis Margaux

Isidora Mae
    Isidora Wren
    Isidora Vrai

But want to gather more suggestions myself!

Isis comes across as very cold to me. I much prefer Isla and Iris to Isis.

I do like Isadora but do think issy, Dora, or Dorie would be natural nicknames that would be hard to avoid.
    Gwen Eleanor... Mary Josephine ... Anna Juliet ... Iris Evelyn ... Sage Catherine ** Arlo Grant ... Drew Thomas ... Eli James ... Owen Vincent... Jay Theodore

I loved the response from stripedsocks--Isidra is so unique! If you don't like Issy or Dora, could Sidra be a nn you like for Isadora? it's maybe a couple of degrees removed--translate the name to Spanish, then take the nickname from the Spanish variant... but it's so full-flavored! It's similar to Sandra so it isn't completely unfamiliar but there's this exotic twist...

I love Isis as well but I see what paw meant when she said it sounded a bit cold. I also can really only see it on someone with a darker complexion--the Egyptian connotation is just SO strong. I would buy Isis as a nickname for Isadora if that suits you.

Isis is cute, but I really love Isadora.

I don't care much for Dora either, but I think Sadie could work as a nickname.
    Last edited by ismene; October 6th, 2013 at 12:43 PM.
    ~Cara

Alice, Amélie, Audrey, Cosima, Eleanor, Isadora, Lucie, Lydia, Ophelia, Rose, Scarlett, Stella
    Alistair, Arthur, Casper, Charles, Marius, Nicolas, Oscar, Perceval, Theodore, Victor, Vincent, Xavier

GPs: Aoife, Artemis, Arwen, Guinevere, Hecate, Iphigenia, Musichetta, Nyx, Olive, Philomena, Wendy, Xanthe, Zenobia / Cecil, Chester, Crispin, Hamish, Lucius, Lysander, Magnus, Seamus