Names Searched Right Now:
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Anyways to the OP, if it bothers you a lot and is particularily going to cause issues in your area, change it to Kohen. I assume that names allowed but really maybe not so I don't know, go ask a Rabbi for a list of allowed alternatives close to it ...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by charliemc09 View Post
    From what I read from some posters they would actually insult people over it and judge their character.
    I must have missed these (not doubting you, I just don't recall people actually saying they'd blatantly insult someone over it). People would judge the parents, yes, but I think many people do that with many names. Can you please link me?
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

If people are really going to be offended by it this much (only people behind a computer screen would ever take offense to it so much so that they speak up), you could always change it to Coen. Very, very similar, same sound and hopefully not too confusing for you son - it's only one letter difference.
    (mckaylalove is an almost anagram made up of mine and my siblings' first and middle names. You can call me Cara.)

Quote Originally Posted by casilda View Post
    I must have missed these (not doubting you, I just don't recall people actually saying they'd blatantly insult someone over it). People would judge the parents, yes, but I think many people do that with many names. Can you please link me?
    Theres a lot of posts of people namecalling people ignorant (not in just the dictionary way) of 'daft'. I don't think its fair to label these parents so quickly or too judge so quickly if they are not from the same area as you because if they are not from the same area as you then you have no idea where they came across the name or if they meant a different spelling of Coen/Koen or the jewish surname/title. Should they have researched it? Yea. But I still don't believe they should be limited in their choosing of a name either, I think we should be free to choose what they want. Obviously I don't want to insult or offend anyone, but I'm really against limiting people as well to a set of 'allowed' names or saying 'you can't use that name cause you're not x group'. Just feels wrong to me. I'd rather someone offend me than for me to take away a freedom of theirs.

Ignorant doesn't mean daft (crazy or foolish). It simply means someone that lacks knowledge or information. From what I recall, no one has said that they'd direct any insults towards the parents or the child.

Just because Cohen might be the name of a popular furniture store or a common surname doesn't mean they're not ignorant as to the larger meaning Cohen has.

Whoever said that I'm hiding behind my screenname and only take offense to the name online, you obviously don't know me. If someone IRL asks me about a name, I will tell them what I think point blank. If they were to ask about Cohen or if they said they were thinking of using Cohen, I'd politely tell them why I don't think they should. Same goes for Abcde, Uvyx, or what have you. My opinion doesn't change just because I use a name other than my real name.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey