Names Searched Right Now:
Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by boyandgirl View Post
    Honestly, this is ridiculous. I seriously doubt anyone is going side-eye your child over a name his parents chose. Unless they think it is weird because it isn't a top 10 name.
    It's obviously up there with calling your child Tsar, Emperor or God and there is a possibility of people side-eyeing the child and not the parents. It's the child who has got to live with it, it is him who may face problems in the future because of it. By no means am I judging people who give their children unusual names, they merely brighten up among a lot of Top 10 names, but giving your child a name that has so much controversy attached to it - just because you like the name - is just being ignorant and selfish. I'm not saying it's a given that a Cohen will get side-eyed, but I'm saying that it is a possibility and that alone should make people leave it be.
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

It seems there are only a few people on here that object to using the name Cohen. They seem to just want to cause some tubulance to me. I think the name Cohen sounds very handsome. I have a neighbor around 5 or 6 years old named Cohen. He's the cutest little gentleman and I'm sure he's not Jewish. His parents are good friends of my family and I'm sure they never meant to be offensive when naming their precious son. I would cherish your little boy's name as much as you cherish him. Don't ever even mention that this "offensive notion" was ever seen on this site. I agree that you should just forget about it and enjoy your little one.

Quote Originally Posted by charliemc09 View Post
    Sorry I'm trying to understand you but I find it difficult too, I don't know why, maybe the way you write. My main point has always been that I don't believe the first name cohen to be the same as the last name cohen because they only share orthographic similarity and not meaning or even pronounciation/phonemic basis in most cases. I never mentioned anything about minorities as I don't even know if jewish ppl are minorities where the OP is from or not, they are not a minority everywhere, but regardless or minority or majority status no one should be oppressed, and I certainly never said oppression is just beating people and limiting rights nor did I mention ignoring that is has a meaning to them or ignoring them?? I'm merely saying the name Cohen is different to other people, for example to me where I'm from Cohen is both Koen/Coen spelling variation and a name of a popular store thats been used on kids cause..I honestly don't know why parents name their kids after a popular furniture store *shrugs* but thats what the name is to me thats what I associate it with and therefore I don't think its the same name as the jewish cohen, do you get what I'm saying? To me it isn't the same name, others don't feel the same as I do and thats how the world works, people will always disagree with each other on different things. If I had a kid named Cohen and someone told me it offends them I would explain its a Koen/Coen variation where I'm from and not the jewish name they are thinking of. Respect goes both ways, I respect Cohen is religious for some , people should respect that its not the same name for others. I don't understand how thats hard. You simply can't avoid everything that offends anyone anywhere in the world. Personally I wouldn't use Cohen/Coen/Koen cause I don't like it but I'm not gonna see others mauled for using it. Freedom for all, no one owns a name.

I understand that in your specific area, you believe people are basically naming their kids after the local furniture store because it sounds nice. Elsewhere, the name has become popular because of a combination of famous Jewish bearers (be they real people or invented characters), a trend toward surnames as first names, and a love for the -en/-an endings. None of those things mean that there are two separate meanings or origins for Cohen as a name. There are just those who are directly descended from Aaron (including your local furniture store owners, most likely), and those who were most likely named in ignorance. Coen, Koen, Cowan, etc on the other hand, are actually etymologically separate, as I understand it.

I don't think this is a case of anyone arguing that the right to name your child Cohen should be legally taken away, so I'm genuinely confused about where freedom came into this discussion. The OP wanted to know if she had done something that would truly be offensive to a decent portion of the US population. She, like most good moms, would never intentionally name her child something that was as controversial as Cohen. Previous posters have just been affirming that, yes, it is offensive to quite a few people. As a PP said (Pam, maybe? Not sure), we live in a society that is increasingly striving for racial and religious diversity and harmony, and being perceived as insensitive to a minority's known cultural taboo could well reflect poorly on the child in the future.

ETA: As for "mauling" parents of little Cohens, I believe that most of the posters here have mentioned that they would be unlikely to confront a parent over their child's name, because what's done is done.
    Last edited by tk.; October 7th, 2013 at 09:18 PM.
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training

Quote Originally Posted by bananie21 View Post
    It seems there are only a few people on here that object to using the name Cohen. They seem to just want to cause some tubulance to me. I think the name Cohen sounds very handsome. I have a neighbor around 5 or 6 years old named Cohen. He's the cutest little gentleman and I'm sure he's not Jewish. His parents are good friends of my family and I'm sure they never meant to be offensive when naming their precious son. I would cherish your little boy's name as much as you cherish him. Don't ever even mention that this "offensive notion" was ever seen on this site. I agree that you should just forget about it and enjoy your little one.
    Having read every reply in this thread, it seems that about half of the berries that replied to this thread would object to using the name. Yes, some of us may be more firm in our beliefs but that's no different than those that think it's just a string of letters.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

Quote Originally Posted by tk. View Post
    I understand that in your specific area, you believe people are basically naming their kids after the local furniture store because it sounds nice. Elsewhere, the name has become popular because of a combination of famous Jewish bearers (be they real people or invented characters), a trend toward surnames as first names, and a love for the -en/-an endings. None of those things mean that there are two separate meanings or origins for Cohen as a name. There are just those who are directly descended from Aaron (including your local furniture store owners, most likely), and those who were most likely named in ignorance. Coen, Koen, Cowan, etc on the other hand, are actually etymologically separate, as I understand it.

I don't think this is a case of anyone arguing that the right to name your child Cohen should be legally taken away, so I'm genuinely confused about where freedom came into this discussion. The OP wanted to know if she had done something that would truly be offensive to a decent portion of the US population. She, like most good moms, would never intentionally name her child something that was as controversial as Cohen. Previous posters have just been affirming that, yes, it is offensive to quite a few people. As a PP said (Pam, maybe? Not sure), we live in a society that is increasingly striving for racial and religious diversity and harmony, and being perceived as insensitive to a minority's known cultural taboo could well reflect poorly on the child in the future.

ETA: As for "mauling" parents of little Cohens, I believe that most of the posters here have mentioned that they would be unlikely to confront a parent over their child's name, because what's done is done.
    From what I read from some posters they would actually insult people over it and judge their character. Cohen is pronounced here like Coen/Koen so I figured its on the same level as a variant of the name and thus a seperate name from the last name Cohen, different areas have different pronounciations. US I'm guessing has a different pronounciation, I can't speak for the US.