Names Searched Right Now:
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alexa400 View Post
    I feel that being offended is a choice, and if someone chooses to be offended that is not your fault.
    Sorry, I had to reply again, as I just completely disagree with this. Although I agree in some cases, you have to remember that we don't exist in a vacuum. This name isn't just limited to the bearer and the person hearing it; it is part of a larger culture, which has a long history. Moreover, this is a religious minority which has suffered extreme discrimination and persecution in the past. So you are taking this holy name and applying it to child, but unknowingly adding to the feelings of misunderstanding and (at the worst) exploitation. Although I'm not Jewish, my religious minority group also suffered discrimination in the U.S... so if it were me, it would be a feeling of "*Sigh* Again? When will they just leave us alone?" Now I'm not saying you should rush out to change your son's name, but instead to just be understanding of why others might be offended (and why it's not really fair to blame it on them).
    Emiliana Pari (or Valentina Hasti?) Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia
    Camellia Seraphine, Jessamine Ara

I had no idea about the offensiveness behind the name Cohen, Cohen is a surname here, not a hugely common one, but theres a few families with it that own stores so I see the name on signs, but I honestly don't know if those families are jewish, I never even thought about it . But they are well known stores and the name does have a nice ring to it so theres people here with the first name Cohen too. I guess its kinda sad they were named after a store lol...but Its not a name that people would think 'jewish only' and 'offensive' when they hear it they would just think wow his parents named him after the furniture store lol We don't have a large jewish population, I think we have one synagogue (sp?), but yeah definetly never encountered the name as being offensive before

Quote Originally Posted by boyandgirl View Post
    Ok, this has been a debate FOREVER on here. I am not Jewish, so I don't get how insulting this is. I am a devout Christian and do not get offended at a baby name Messiah, Priest, Jesus or anything. Jewish people will tell you it is not the same thing at all. I get that I don't understand the depth of the meaning, because for me, it doesn't get any more "spiritual" than Jesus and God. Now, I really don't mean to sound offensive or ignorant, but I think this will become a non issue. I have met several little Cohen's and actually know someone that used it because it was her maiden name. There will only be an increase it the usage of this name. I think the whole idea of acceptance has to go both ways. I am sure that not one single person has used this name to offend a Jewish person. They just don't hold the same beliefs. So, for them,it is not an important issue. They just love the name.Since more and more kids will have this name, I seriously doubt that your son is going to have issues in life due to his handsome name. I think it would be cruel to change his name at 2 years old. Good luck!
    I second this.
    Mom to Dempsey, Jude, & Hudson
    Expecting a surprise this December

Quote Originally Posted by tfzolghadr View Post
    Sorry, I had to reply again, as I just completely disagree with this. Although I agree in some cases, you have to remember that we don't exist in a vacuum. This name isn't just limited to the bearer and the person hearing it; it is part of a larger culture, which has a long history. Moreover, this is a religious minority which has suffered extreme discrimination and persecution in the past. So you are taking this holy name and applying it to child, but unknowingly adding to the feelings of misunderstanding and (at the worst) exploitation. Although I'm not Jewish, my religious minority group also suffered discrimination in the U.S... so if it were me, it would be a feeling of "*Sigh* Again? When will they just leave us alone?" Now I'm not saying you should rush out to change your son's name, but instead to just be understanding of why others might be offended (and why it's not really fair to blame it on them).
    I am from a religious minority that has been discriminated against as well. And I agree we don't live in a vacuum and should do our best to make wise choices and be understanding and aware of those around us. We should be doing our best not to offend. But she didn't choose this name for the intention to offend and I believe if we want people to be understanding of us, we should extend them the same courtesy, and be understanding of those who don't know our beliefs and don't know that their choices might be offensive. Shouldn't we as the religious minority also be understanding of those who don't know any different?
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

I just wanted to say that I have never heard anything about this name being offensive?? Maybe I live under a rock or something. It's a pretty common kids name around here. I know 3 little boys named Cohen right now. I'm actually really surprised to see there's such a problem just had no idea. And just thinking maybe a lot of other people may be clueless like me and not give it a second thought! I think anyone who met you or your son would surely understand that it was just a name you liked and not something you chose to offend anyone?! Why would anyone intentionally do that. Anyway, def don't change his name!
    Mom to Mhairi Elizabeth (March 19, 2010) & Fiona Lilidh (Dec 21, 2012) Baby #3 Due March 2014