Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Help! My child's name is offensive??

I have a 2-year old named Cohen. My husband and I are Leonard Cohen fans and thought the name went well with our last name. We looked up the meaning, which was 'priest' in Hebrew. Nothing popped up about it being offensive at the time. It wasn't until a month or two ago, when I looked up the name to see if it has risen in popularity, that I came across multiple form debates on the name Cohen! I had no idea this was considered an insensitive name choice and I certainly didn't want to offend anyone with my son's name.

Now I feel sort of sick thinking that my son may have trouble with his name. We haven't had any negative comments in real life but I am really worried for him! I am thinking of changing the spelling to Cohan, but I don't know if there is any point if I am keeping the same pronunciation. He certainly knows his name so it's too late for a full name change, and my husband would probably take a lot of convincing even to change the spelling. I'm having big time name regret and not sure what to do!
    Last edited by bus; October 6th, 2013 at 10:24 PM.

That was one of my names too and I love it. I didn't know it was controversial or offensive at all until reading some debates on here either. I don't really know what you could do since he's almost 2. If you haven't had any negative comments about it yet, maybe it will be fine.. I do love the name though!!!

Yeah, this is really offensive. I suggest changing the spelling of your son's name immediately and giving him a nickname if possible.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    Yeah, this is really offensive. I suggest changing the spelling of your son's name immediately and giving him a nickname if possible.
    Disagree. This would be going overboard, imo.
    Personal Favorites: Mira Cairdeas and Darrow Paine

Best Wishes To All

I find it sad and offensive (sorry) and wish your kid was named Leonard, but I wouldn't be attacking your kid for being named that.

A lot of the people who'd find it the worst/most hurtful are people who won't ever say anything about it to his face, they will just think "I wonder what his parents were thinking."

I wouldn't worry about him getting beat up or anything though. Most of the world isn't Jewish and doesn't care. If you were still considering the name for an unborn child I'd try to talk you out of it, but I don't think you need to hyperventilate about him "having trouble" with it. It has a lot of issues with cultural appropriation but plenty of people don't give a damn about minority groups (look at the popularity of Dakota, which I know hurts a friend of mine of that background). I wouldn't use Dakota but aside from that one friendship, I *could* use it without "any trouble."