Names Searched Right Now:
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
    Julery and Casilda, very sensible. A name has symbolic power just like a cross does, or a white hood. It's not just a "string of letters." I hear a lot of people judging whether the use of Cohen as a first name "should" be considered offensive without understanding in the slightest why it IS offensive. It's not just because it means priest, and it's not the same as naming your baby Deacon or Bishop or Jesus. And Seth Cohen on The O.C. actually had the last name Cohen and so was entitled to use it.
    Pam Satran
    Nameberry

Theres obviously a split of opinion on the name Cohen. A name is a string of letters just like any other word and any meaning attached to it its arbitrary and comes from whatever it means to the person or group hearing it (for example the word 'star' doesn't mean star because it just does...lol its just a orthography with meaning associated by ppl) . I would argue that 'cohen' used as a last name for a jewish person is not the same name as the first name 'cohen' used by non jewish ppls. Just like theres some words that have the same letters but mean different things in different languages, contexts, or within the same language. Anyways some ppl are always going to find it offensive and others are freely going to use that name. Its globalization, its 2013, you can't keep a name to one group in this day and age. But I don't think people who use it mean to offend or are aware that certain ppl are offended so I think calling them ignorant and offensive and whatever else is just inviting more hatred than theres needs to be in the world and further isolates your group by othering yourself or others.

Quote Originally Posted by charliemc09 View Post
    Theres obviously a split of opinion on the name Cohen. A name is a string of letters just like any other word and any meaning attached to it its arbitrary and comes from whatever it means to the person or group hearing it (for example the word 'star' doesn't mean star because it just does...lol its just a orthography with meaning associated by ppl) . I would argue that 'cohen' used as a last name for a jewish person is not the same name as the first name 'cohen' used by non jewish ppls. Just like theres some words that have the same letters but mean different things in different languages, contexts, or within the same language. Anyways some ppl are always going to find it offensive and others are freely going to use that name. Its globalization, its 2013, you can't keep a name to one group in this day and age. But I don't think people who use it mean to offend or are aware that certain ppl are offended so I think calling them ignorant and offensive and whatever else is just inviting more hatred than theres needs to be in the world and further isolates your group by othering yourself or others.
    People using a name without being aware that certain people are offended by it IS the definition of ignorance.

From Miriam-Webster:

ig·no·rance noun \ˈig-n(ə-)rən(t)s\
    : a lack of knowledge, understanding, or education : the state of being ignorant
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

It is beyond me that people are actually using this name despite knowing the controversy surrounding it. Does your love for this heavily debated name really overshadow the possibility of your child getting facing problems because of it? I think it says a lot about the parents and their ignorance and disrespect for other cultures as well as their inconsideration of the future of their own children. It's up there with naming your child Princess or Kynnadie in terms of possibly limiting your child's various possibilities in the future. However, I will give people with no knowledge about the issue a pass because I don't expect people to be all-knowing.

This post was not directed at the OP, but at the people justifying the use of Cohen.
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting old Danish names, Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda/Johanna Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda/Anna" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise

And for the moment: Atticus Elessar Oisín • Aviaaja Agnes Lúthien "Avi"

Quote Originally Posted by casilda View Post
    People using a name without being aware that certain people are offended by it IS the definition of ignorance.

From Miriam-Webster:
    It has a lot more of a negative conotation to it when used colloquially than a dictionary is going to tell you. It doesn't seem people are meaning ignorant because they are simply unaware of it. Anyways guess what the world is made up of different people and they all have opinions so this thread is just going to go round and round.