Names Searched Right Now:
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
    Well, If you are Jewish then it would be an odd choice but not offensive. I just think that if you are not Jewish it would seem a bit strange. Not really offensive though. If you are super worried maybe you could try these nicknames

Coco
    Connie
    Conner
    Connell

Hope that helps!
    XOXO Whillemina
    Crazy and Happy Name-Obsessed Teen
    Faves
    Kirrily, Rosalind, Tamsin, Josephine

Quote Originally Posted by paw View Post
    The difference is that non-Christians do not name their children Messiah or Jesus. People who choose those names are selecting a name within their own religious tradition. If it were Jewish people naming their kids Cohen, that would be the same thing. It is non-Jews choosing a name with religious significance to Jews .. just because they like it.

How would you feel about a Hindu or Buddhist or Jew naming their child Jesus (completing disregarding any religious significance) because they like the sound of the name or some famous person who was named that? When you can answer that, then you are comparing apples to apples.

Again, I would not be offended if a Hindu or Muslim used the name. As I am sure, they would not be using it to intend offense. I am only offended by deliberate taunts on Christianity, which it done just about every time you turn the tv on. If you live in the US, you will meet lots of people with lots of different religious and spiritual beliefs. I am not going to deliberately offend anyone or their beliefs. I think we all have to be aware that our beliefs, no matter how sacred, are not shared by others. I am still flabbergasted that this name has the power to cause these kinds of arguments. If using the name incited persecution, then that would be a different matter. But again, that is just my opinion and I mean no offense to any religion or culture.

I can never decide how I feel about the sides of this debate, but I do know that I could never give my own child a name that would somehow be considered controversial or offensive to anybody. Unfortunately, names do say something about the child's parent (and therefore about the child), and I feel that Cohen says either ignorant or insensitive.

In the end, it doesn't really matter who's right does it? Some people are offended by it, and are you comfortable with that?

If not, I would change his name to Owen. It's so similar, he probably wouldn't be able to tell that you were calling him a different name, and I'm sure your family/friends would understand your reasons for making the switch. Coen/Kohen still look like the same name as Cohen to me, which still gives off the controversial vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by niteowl13 View Post
    What about Reese Witherspoon naming her son Deacon? I have heard the name Bishop used as well.
    Being Catholic, Deacon as a name doesn't sit well with me but I'm not as bothered by it as I am Cohen because where the name comes from is completely different.

Bishop as a name is weird (to me) as well but again, it doesn't have the same type of history that Cohen does.

Quote Originally Posted by julery
    I can never decide how I feel about the sides of this debate, but I do know that I could never give my own child a name that would somehow be considered controversial or offensive to anybody. Unfortunately, names do say something about the child's parent (and therefore about the child), and I feel that Cohen says either ignorant or insensitive.
    EXACTLY!
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

Quote Originally Posted by tfzolghadr View Post
    A good point. My feeling is that while yes, you should accommodate to some degree... minorities are already accommodating. I don't think many would be offended by little intrusions. However, this is taking something holy and applying it in a profane way. While I don't think most would make a rude comment (which would be out of line), I think people are completely justified in feeling offended. After all, you can't dictate how someone should feel... just how they should react. So yes, don't burn down houses... but having a feeling of "Oh great, again?"... I would tend to think that it's justified. In the end, it's conversations like these that help raise awareness.
    I just want to thank you for replying to this so respectfully and calmly. We all have the right to a difference of opinion and the right to defend our opinion. It's when we stop defending our opinion and start attacking others that problems arise. And I completely agree we need these kind of conversations to raise awareness.
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot