Names Searched Right Now:
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast
    Most groups have a history of being oppressed though..not to make light of what the jewish ppl have gone through, but if we start knocking names off the list and deeming them as special only for this group and this group can't use it, we are just further 'othering' ppl and seperating people like that is what causes oppression...there are tonnes of groups that have undergone oppression that aren't as widely known as the jewish ppl, we are going to have a very tiny amount of names left lol If someone were meaning to offend the jewish population there are far more obvious names they can name their kid, they wouldnt name their kid 'priest' , for example remeber in the news a few years ago that family named their kid adolf hitler, pretty sure they were the ones trying to offend the jewish ppl

Quote Originally Posted by alexa400 View Post
    I am from a religious minority that has been discriminated against as well. And I agree we don't live in a vacuum and should do our best to make wise choices and be understanding and aware of those around us. We should be doing our best not to offend. But she didn't choose this name for the intention to offend and I believe if we want people to be understanding of us, we should extend them the same courtesy, and be understanding of those who don't know our beliefs and don't know that their choices might be offensive. Shouldn't we as the religious minority also be understanding of those who don't know any different?
    A good point. My feeling is that while yes, you should accommodate to some degree... minorities are already accommodating. I don't think many would be offended by little intrusions. However, this is taking something holy and applying it in a profane way. While I don't think most would make a rude comment (which would be out of line), I think people are completely justified in feeling offended. After all, you can't dictate how someone should feel... just how they should react. So yes, don't burn down houses... but having a feeling of "Oh great, again?"... I would tend to think that it's justified. In the end, it's conversations like these that help raise awareness.

As to the person who said many ethnic/religious groups have been persecuted... Unfortunately, that's true. However, I don't think that counts as an excuse to use one of their holy names in an inappropriate way. It's a logical fallacy to say that simply because something is common, it is not problematic. If it is so common, it instead indicates a need for more sensitivity. Given, I don't think that it's very common to accidentally use the holy name of a persecuted religious minority on accident...
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

Quote Originally Posted by tfzolghadr View Post
    A good point. My feeling is that while yes, you should accommodate to some degree... minorities are already accommodating. I don't think many would be offended by little intrusions. However, this is taking something holy and applying it in a profane way. While I don't think most would make a rude comment (which would be out of line), I think people are completely justified in feeling offended. After all, you can't dictate how someone should feel... just how they should react. So yes, don't burn down houses... but having a feeling of "Oh great, again?"... I would tend to think that it's justified. In the end, it's conversations like these that help raise awareness.

As to the person who said many ethnic/religious groups have been persecuted... Unfortunately, that's true. However, I don't think that counts as an excuse to use one of their holy names in an inappropriate way. It's a logical fallacy to say that simply because something is common, it is not problematic. If it is so common, it instead indicates a need for more sensitivity. Given, I don't think that it's very common to accidentally use the holy name of a persecuted religious minority on accident...
    You said you cant dictate how ppl feel or react and for some ppl they do not feel the use of the name Cohen is profane or offensive in any way. Its cuts both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by boyandgirl View Post
    Ok, this has been a debate FOREVER on here. I am not Jewish, so I don't get how insulting this is. I am a devout Christian and do not get offended at a baby name Messiah, Priest, Jesus or anything. Jewish people will tell you it is not the same thing at all. I get that I don't understand the depth of the meaning, because for me, it doesn't get any more "spiritual" than Jesus and God.
    The difference is that non-Christians do not name their children Messiah or Jesus. People who choose those names are selecting a name within their own religious tradition. If it were Jewish people naming their kids Cohen, that would be the same thing. It is non-Jews choosing a name with religious significance to Jews .. just because they like it.

How would you feel about a Hindu or Buddhist or Jew naming their child Jesus (completing disregarding any religious significance) because they like the sound of the name or some famous person who was named that? When you can answer that, then you are comparing apples to apples.
    Last edited by paw; October 6th, 2013 at 12:23 PM.
    I like simple yet versatile names that work well for the athlete, the comic, the genius, and the judge.

Quote Originally Posted by paw View Post
    The difference is that non-Christians do not name their children Messiah or Jesus. People who choice those names are selecting a name within their own religious tradition. If it were Jewish people naming their kids Cohen, that would the same thing. It is non-Jews choosing a name with religious significance to Jews .. just because we they like it.

How would you feel about a Hindu or Buddhist or Jew naming their child Jesus (completing disregarding any religious significance) because they like the sound the name or some famous person who was named that? When you can answer that, then you are comparing apples to apples.
    I don't care what ppl name their kids as long as the kid doesn't end up pigeon-holed by the name (like naming them hippy mcstardance) or naming them something they cant pronounce. No religion or group owns a string of letters