Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A Name That Needs a Little Work......

I've been working on a modern apocalypse story for a while now. I have the majority of the most important characters named, but after writing a few scenes today with a certain character, I'm finding his name isn't quit right. I'm hoping someone can help me flush out another name, or improve on the names I've used in the past for the character. My story takes place in Canada, mostly in Ontario. Most of my characters have common names because they are just your average everyday people with no supernatural powers or anything.

I'll tell you about the character. He is male, approx. 35 years of age. He was born a city boy. His father was higher-class, his mother middle class. When he was little his mother was killed and his father played a part in the death which the character finds out later. Because of this, the character carries a deep hate and rage. He is often moody and withdrawn. His business associates see a man calm and aggressive. Women that don't know him see a sharp-dressed man, charming, and with a smile that turns heads and 'after the fact' their left wondering what they did wrong. Anyone he let's in usually has a hard time walking away. He has two passions; reading, which offers some distraction for the thoughts in his head, and wood-working in the form of building boats. This character is also deaf in one ear as the result of a boating accident. Looks wise: He's good-looking and he knows it so he presents confidence. He's tall with a slim build. He spends a lot of time around the water so he's tanned. He has green eyes that sometimes look blue in the right light. His hair is on the long side and is sandy blonde. He usually sports a little face scruff but it's well-groomed.

The first name I gave him was Mason Dunlop. Then I changed it to Tom Dunlop. I did so because I have another important character named, Michael Sinclair, and I didn't want two 'M' names. Both characters are similar in how they detach themselves from everyone. The major difference between the characters; Michael shows no emotion at all and he never makes a decision based on his feelings, where as the character I'm trying to name does everything based on emotion. I prefer Mason to Tom but Tom fits because of it's meaning, 'twin'. This character really is two different people most of the time. I also thought about incorporating Tom, Thomas, Thompson or something along those lines for a surname, but I have another important character with a "T" last name.

Do you think Michael Sinclair and Mason Dunlop are too similar sounding?
    Do you prefer Mason Dunlop? or Thomas "Tom" Dunlop?
    Also, if you have other names you think could work, I'm game to hearing them. Maybe it will flush out a name that totally fits, one I'm not doubting.

I'm going to list the other male characters just so nothing that I've already used gets suggested.

Lucas MacLeod
    Seth Wylie
    Owen Trask
    Michael Sinclair
    Walter Suggs
    Jimmy Beaudry
    Ray Coombs

This character had a love interest, but she died. Her name was Trish. He is going to get another love interest. Her name is Kate. If that helps at all.
    Last edited by crissy76; October 1st, 2013 at 09:10 PM.
    Have a Nice Day
    -Crissy-

I don't have any children, but I write like crazy and am always looking for names for characters. I think I'm a half decent story teller, a mediocre writer, but horrible at picking names.

Favorites: Ainsley, Everly, Shay, Bryce, Michaela, Bree, Susannah, Jensen, Damien, Anson, James, Dalton, Sawyer, Alaric

Perhaps Thom or Thompson as a first name?

Thanks for responding, rkrd.

The thing is, this character is in his mid-thirties, so born in the late 70's. How common was it back then to hear of someone with a last name as a first name? That is sort of a modern day trend. I know every-so-often there is an exception to every rule, but......
    Have a Nice Day
    -Crissy-

I don't have any children, but I write like crazy and am always looking for names for characters. I think I'm a half decent story teller, a mediocre writer, but horrible at picking names.

Favorites: Ainsley, Everly, Shay, Bryce, Michaela, Bree, Susannah, Jensen, Damien, Anson, James, Dalton, Sawyer, Alaric

To answer your first question, no, I don't think having a Mason and a Michael would bother me. I'd say maximum four characters with the same letter first name.
    However, I do think Tom works better for him.
    Amedeo Enjolras Aristotle Leonardo Archer Olivier Mischa Liam Caspian Benedict Theodore Fitzwilliam
    Rosalie Evangeline Mirabelle Ophelia Alice Elisabeth Stella Titania Artemis Cicely Margarethe Thalia Astrid

I don't think Mason and Michael are too similar. But, I'm not sure it works for other reasons. Mason just doesn't seem like a very 70s name to me. You also said you don't want a last-name-as-first-name, but Mason is a surname. It may even be the name that started the trend! I think you're better off with a classic like Tom. Or you could use the sound-alike Jason, which was actually popular during the decade your character was born.
    Mommy to...Maura Lucille

I had a baby today, I would name him/her...
    Patrick Donley or Brigid "Birdie" ???

BOYS: Seamus Arthur or Niall/Neil/Neal James
    GIRLS: ???