Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Little Brother for Penelope Lane?

Hi berries! I've been lurking here since I found out I was pregnant, and I think the time has finally come to ask for your help! I'm 31 weeks along and seem to be name stuck. With my (now 6yo) daughter Penelope, it was easy; nothing seemed quite right, until one day when I was reading one of my favorite books, The Moonstone, I saw the name Penelope, fell in love with it, said it to my husband, and he totally agreed, and we were done. Then we landed on the last name Lane, and now we have Penelope Lane/Penny Lane. (We're big Beatles fans, if you couldn't guess...)

I feel that it's important to me that a name has personal resonance, but also that it needs to somehow *feel* right, and I haven't figured out what that feel right recipe is. I'm starting to think that I just prefer Victorian names or 1920s names, but finding a boy's name has been *hard*, especially finding one that my husband likes as well.

This is our/my top four (first names; I'll save second names for later!)

Reginald (Reggie) -- I've been reading Jeeves/PG Wodehouse all this pregnancy, and (lesser known fact!) Jeeves' first name is Reginald. This is right now my personal fave but my husband is lukewarm on it.
    Beckett (Beck) -- we're long time Beck fans (the musician), but Beckett feels a bit preppy to me, and I'm a bit dismayed at how popular it seems to be becoming too.
    Dashiell (Dash) -- I love noir, and this is a cool name, but maybe too cool? Not sure this one is quite right, though I don't know why.
    Castiel (Cas) -- I love this name for reasons; but I'm worried those reasons are um, too specific But it's also just a beautiful name. Maybe with Jacob as a middle name?

and finally, my husband wants Perry (maybe long form Perigrine) because it is a family name and we love Perry Mason--but I just can't bring myself to do Perry and Penny as a sibset. I have agreed to Perry as a middle name if it sounds right, but for now have nixed Perry as a first name.

And that's where we're at. Preferences? Suggestions for names? Or for ways to brainstorm names that have that magic personal rightness?

Quote Originally Posted by lolas View Post
    Hi berries! I've been lurking here since I found out I was pregnant, and I think the time has finally come to ask for your help! I'm 31 weeks along and seem to be name stuck. With my (now 6yo) daughter Penelope, it was easy; nothing seemed quite right, until one day when I was reading one of my favorite books, The Moonstone, I saw the name Penelope, fell in love with it, said it to my husband, and he totally agreed, and we were done. Then we landed on the last name Lane, and now we have Penelope Lane/Penny Lane. (We're big Beatles fans, if you couldn't guess...)

I feel that it's important to me that a name has personal resonance, but also that it needs to somehow *feel* right, and I haven't figured out what that feel right recipe is. I'm starting to think that I just prefer Victorian names or 1920s names, but finding a boy's name has been *hard*, especially finding one that my husband likes as well.

This is our/my top four (first names; I'll save second names for later!)

Reginald (Reggie) -- I've been reading Jeeves/PG Wodehouse all this pregnancy, and (lesser known fact!) Jeeves' first name is Reginald. This is right now my personal fave but my husband is lukewarm on it.
    Beckett (Beck) -- we're long time Beck fans (the musician), but Beckett feels a bit preppy to me, and I'm a bit dismayed at how popular it seems to be becoming too.
    Dashiell (Dash) -- I love noir, and this is a cool name, but maybe too cool? Not sure this one is quite right, though I don't know why.
    Castiel (Cas) -- I love this name for reasons; but I'm worried those reasons are um, too specific But it's also just a beautiful name. Maybe with Jacob as a middle name?

and finally, my husband wants Perry (maybe long form Perigrine) because it is a family name and we love Perry Mason--but I just can't bring myself to do Perry and Penny as a sibset. I have agreed to Perry as a middle name if it sounds right, but for now have nixed Perry as a first name.

And that's where we're at. Preferences? Suggestions for names? Or for ways to brainstorm names that have that magic personal rightness?
    Hmm...
    From the names mentioned my favourites are Dashiell and Beckett. I'm not keen on Perigrine but Perry is cool. If you love Perry Mason why not switch it up and have Mason Perry this involves both your favourite names and eliminates the Perry/Penny sibling set issue. I do understand your concerns. But then saying this having Mason & Penelope in the same sibling set could be seen as rather strange due to Kourtney Kardashian being very 'famous' at this precise moment and having two children named Mason & Penelope.

Suggestions:
    Julius Perry 'Penelope & Julius Perry'
    Felix Perry 'Penelope & Ernest Perry'
    Arthur Perry 'Penelope & Arthur Perry'
    Leonard Perry 'Penelope & Leonard Perry'
    Jager Perry 'Penelope & Jager Perry'
    Truman Perry 'Penelope & Truman Perry'
    Hudson Perry 'Penelope & Hudson Perry'
    Jasper Perry 'Penelope & Jasper Perry'
    Orson Perry 'Penelope & Orson Perry'
    Roman Perry 'Penelope & Roman Perry'

But if I was you I'd use Beckett yeah it's preppy but the name isn't pretentious or unappealing it's cool.

Love the name Penelope. My favorites with Penelope are Reginald and Dashiell. Not sure how I feel about Penny & Reggie--it's definitely cute.... but is it too cute or just right? I'm thinking maybe just right. Beckett sounds harsh to me, and I'm not familiar with Castiel or how to say it... though I do like Cas.

I don't like Reginald or Castiel at all. I love the nicknames Beck and Dash but I'm not a fan of the long forms.
    Boys
    Spencer|Benjamin|Henry|Declan|Rhys|Grayson|Peter|Q uinn

Girls
    Laura|Charlotte|Caroline|Savannah|Nora|Natalie|Hil lary

Guilty Pleasures
    River|Sawyer|Moss|Barrett|Sky|Archer

I do think Penny and Perry is too close. I think Dashiel and Reginald both sound great.