Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Leopold goes fantastic with Zelda & Dashiell . Althought my favorite Leo name is Leonardo i think Leopold is very handsome .

I also love Bruno from your list .
    I loved her not for the way she danced with my angels but for the way the sound of her name could silence my demons.~ Christopher Poindexter.

A lonely old soul : ~ Hebe ~ Idile ~ Psyche ~ Io ~ Agapi ~ Monaxia .
    Little gent is currently nameless .

Quote Originally Posted by hillymae View Post
    I love the name Leopold, my only hesitation is that King Leopold was a despotic colonizer of then-Zaire (now Democratic Republic of Congo), so if your family has any chance of spending time in Africa (I actually do have to consider this for myself because I am an international humanitarian aid worker), then I would steer clear of it. But since I doubt you're considering a move to the DRC, you don't have to worry, because it's likely that 99% of Americans (if you are American) don't know about this guy, so don't let that stop you. Leopold is a fantastic name, with great nickname potential, too! It's definitely my favorite of all the names you listed.
    I used to live in the DRC, and I have a terrible taste in my mouth when I hear this name. I don't like it. But I don't think you'll have a problem with that name, even if you live there. It's actually quite a popular name there, to my surprise. I met plenty of African guys named Leopold and there was no big deal about it. KLII just brought the name there, I guess. But you will have to deal with the fact that your child shares a name with a man who administered the killing of more people than Hitler.
    Wren (03.08), Estella (05.10), Blair (10.11), and Yves (12.13).

Leopold is a fairly traditional name in Europe and in francophone countries (including African countries), so I have to disagree that the Belgian king is the only association with the name. Stalin was a mass murderer too and there are plenty of young boys who share his first name, Joseph.

That being said it's a pretty versatile name so he could easily go by Leo or Lee or Poldi if the associations ever became problematic.

I think it's a terrific name, although it feels somehow odd with your sibset. Leopold feels ancient/royal/elegant/European, while Zelda and Dashiell a have a more modern/vintage/hipster/American vibe, as do most of your other names except maybe Bruno and Michael.

I love Maynard, BTW - terrific meaning and John Maynard Keynes is a great namesake.
    Bertrand -bertie-, Wilfred, Léon, Axel, Cuthbert -cubby-, Maxentius, Aubrey, Phoebus, John-Henry.
    Émilienne, Livia, Annabella -abbey-, Maud, Rosamund, Kimborough, Clemency, Elizabeth-Charlotte.

I'm Danish and I know a little Leopold August. I love Leopold by the way, have never been able to fully digest Leonardo, so Leopold is my ultimate Leo-name. I think Leopold sounds great with Zelda and Dashiell

A few (Scandinavian/Danish) suggestions:
    Leopold Asger
    Leopold Aske
    Leopold Bertil
    Leopold Birk
    Leopold Johan
    Leopold Njord
    Leopold Oskar
    Leopold Rumle
    Leopold Sigge
    Leopold Sixten
    Leopold Snorre
    Leopold Tjalfe
    Leopold Valdemar
    Leopold Ville

And I totally second Ottilie's suggestion of Leopold Villads (I know quite a few people who would swoon over this combination) and Leopold Bror
    Zelia/Elja • Nineteen • Name and history nerd from an early age • I have a blog.
    Trying hard to export beautiful old Danish names, magical Danish nature names and exotic Greenlandic names.
    Current favourite combinations: Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor • Alexander Adelin Lórien
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel • Gaia Margaret Undómiel

Good name! And it definitely goes well with Zelda and Dashiell!
    Favourite girls: Amadea, Antonia, Cecily, Clara, Eleanor, Georgia, Margaret, Matilda, Pandora, Susannah
    Favourite boys: Archer, August, Gabriel, Harley, Joseph, Nathaniel, Phelan, Phineas, Rowan, Theodore

Check out my blog at http://www.helpfulpandemic.tumblr.com!