Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Leopold goes fantastic with Zelda & Dashiell . Althought my favorite Leo name is Leonardo i think Leopold is very handsome .

I also love Bruno from your list .
    "I felt that I breathed an atmosphere of sorrow"

Rosa Nightingale Thomasin Orchid Edith Remember Zuleika Evening Belladonna Selene Orphéa Requiem Lilith Anastasia Nocturne Ophelia Séraphine Wildrose Juniper Echo Persephone Forest Suzanne Psyche Belphoebe Sonnet
    &
    Orpheus Elgar Thorin Prometheus Gideon Achilles Amadeus Vale Lucien Florence Casimir Leo Dante Alexander Wolf Brahm Vesper Viktor Peregrin Algernon Poe Alexander Corvus Dorian Casper Damian Sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by hillymae View Post
    I love the name Leopold, my only hesitation is that King Leopold was a despotic colonizer of then-Zaire (now Democratic Republic of Congo), so if your family has any chance of spending time in Africa (I actually do have to consider this for myself because I am an international humanitarian aid worker), then I would steer clear of it. But since I doubt you're considering a move to the DRC, you don't have to worry, because it's likely that 99% of Americans (if you are American) don't know about this guy, so don't let that stop you. Leopold is a fantastic name, with great nickname potential, too! It's definitely my favorite of all the names you listed.
    I used to live in the DRC, and I have a terrible taste in my mouth when I hear this name. I don't like it. But I don't think you'll have a problem with that name, even if you live there. It's actually quite a popular name there, to my surprise. I met plenty of African guys named Leopold and there was no big deal about it. KLII just brought the name there, I guess. But you will have to deal with the fact that your child shares a name with a man who administered the killing of more people than Hitler.
    Wren (03.08), Estella (05.10), Blair (10.11), and Yves (12.13).

Leopold is a fairly traditional name in Europe and in francophone countries (including African countries), so I have to disagree that the Belgian king is the only association with the name. Stalin was a mass murderer too and there are plenty of young boys who share his first name, Joseph.

That being said it's a pretty versatile name so he could easily go by Leo or Lee or Poldi if the associations ever became problematic.

I think it's a terrific name, although it feels somehow odd with your sibset. Leopold feels ancient/royal/elegant/European, while Zelda and Dashiell a have a more modern/vintage/hipster/American vibe, as do most of your other names except maybe Bruno and Michael.

I love Maynard, BTW - terrific meaning and John Maynard Keynes is a great namesake.
    Arabella, Thibault, Sophia, Alfred, Eleanor, Rémi, Charlotte, Achille, Olivia, Clement, Elizabeth, Frederick, Maud, Benedict, Adèle.

I'm Danish and I know a little Leopold August. I love Leopold by the way, have never been able to fully digest Leonardo, so Leopold is my ultimate Leo-name. I think Leopold sounds great with Zelda and Dashiell

A few (Scandinavian/Danish) suggestions:
    Leopold Asger
    Leopold Aske
    Leopold Bertil
    Leopold Birk
    Leopold Johan
    Leopold Njord
    Leopold Oskar
    Leopold Rumle
    Leopold Sigge
    Leopold Sixten
    Leopold Snorre
    Leopold Tjalfe
    Leopold Valdemar
    Leopold Ville

And I totally second Ottilie's suggestion of Leopold Villads (I know quite a few people who would swoon over this combination) and Leopold Bror
    Zelia • 20s • I run everythingroyalty • Exporting names from Greenland & Inuit mythology
    Henry Ásgeirr Lórien • Alexander Adelin Pemba "Sasha" • Aksel Atticus Ivik • Oscar Edmund Igaluk
    Nor Valdemar Oisín • Asa Bjørnstjerne • Marcel Endymion Theo • Vincent Akiva Lysander

Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Asta Ivalo Galadriel • Aviaaja Catherine Françoise "Avi" • Evelyn Cleopatra "Evie"
    Olga Alvaret Lúthien • Noor Dagmar Evangeline • Edith Faraday Thérèse "Edie" • Eleonora Brontë Patricia

Good name! And it definitely goes well with Zelda and Dashiell!
    ~Adelaide ~ Octavia~ Eulalie~ Clementine~ Magnolia~ Coralie~ Josephine~
    ~Frederick~ Alistair~ Malachi~ Edward~Julian~ Nathaniel ~ Theodore~