Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Opinions on Aletta

First impressions? Thoughts? Does your mind automatically go "and a number" after you hear it? My hubby's mind does. :P He and I both really like the name but I have to convince him people won't make "letter" themed jokes about her her whole life...
    Speculative fiction writer and mother to Charles Theophilus (2.5 years), Corinna Melisande -- nicknamed Cora (13 months), and the Tiny Girl (due Feb. 2014). Lover of studious, ancient boy names and sweet, intelligent girl names with a touch of fairy-tale beauty.

I think Aletta is lovely! It feels like a dainty little bird to me--that's the only thing I think of. The "letter" thing never crossed my mind, but then again, I live in America where most people pronounce the "R"s at the end of their words, so it might be more of a problem in the UK and Australia. I think it's beautiful, though! If the sound is a problem, what about just Alette? I think it's equally beautiful. It sort of seems like a contraction of Alouette.

Thanks, ash! I live in America too, but in New England, where Boston accents are common (R's are heavily dropped with a strong Boston accent!). Alette is pretty but seems too choppy with our last name, I think. Stylistically I really like Aletta with our older kids' names.
    Speculative fiction writer and mother to Charles Theophilus (2.5 years), Corinna Melisande -- nicknamed Cora (13 months), and the Tiny Girl (due Feb. 2014). Lover of studious, ancient boy names and sweet, intelligent girl names with a touch of fairy-tale beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by trustedwriter View Post
    Thanks, ash! I live in America too, but in New England, where Boston accents are common (R's are heavily dropped with a strong Boston accent!). Alette is pretty but seems too choppy with our last name, I think. Stylistically I really like Aletta with our older kids' names.
    I could see that with a Boston accent! I vacationed with my family in Boston this summer; I was sad I didn't really get to hear a Boston accent. I heard a couple, but no really strong ones. haha. I have a thing for accents! I agree, though--I like Aletta much more with Charles and Corinna, too. If you got too many concerns about it, she could go by Etta, Lettie, or Allie? It would be a shame to always have to shorten it, though.

I like Aletta, it's kind of light and lyrical. Reminds me of Allegra, Musetta...