Names Searched Right Now:
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    I have some sympathy for those who question whether or not to vax. I'm fairly crunchy, and at one time thought I may want to avoid some vaccinations for future kids. I've personally never gotten a flu shot.

But, in my (very limited) research since being pregnant, I haven't found any truly compelling arguments, especially re: the autism issue. And, while I've heard of other types of side effects from bad reactions or allergies to the vax, the percent risk of those seems very small in comparison to the risks of catching deadly diseases.

But, mainly, we will vax for this reason: we currently live in a country where health care is limited and people still DO die of tetanus, TB, and other diseases that are rare in the US. We ourselves get shots that are not usually given in other countries, like Japanese encephalitis, typhoid, and rabies, because we're at greater risk of those here. Also, there's no guarantee of quick treatment, depending on where you are in the country when you contract the disease...so, yeah. There is no way I'm taking the very real risk of my kid getting tetanus because of the very small risks of a negative side effect of the vax.

Also, I don't want to sound judgmental of non-vaxers, because I do think there are some people who might have legit concerns or reasons to avoid them (especially people with compromised immune systems, etc). That said, my perspective after having lived here for a while DOES make me think that choosing to NOT vax is a privilege people in developed countries have because in those countries so many major diseases have been almost totally eradicated. And, they have largely been eradicated through nearly-universal vax programs. I find the arguments from the history of polio, pertussis, etc and the affects of the vax on those numbers pretty compelling.

So...not vaxing is not a luxury we have because of where we live. And it seems clear to me that that is directly connected to the fact that there's still far from universal vax here.

Another reason to vax is because many programs and schools require it. I know someone who was recently rejected from a training program because he wasn't vaccinated as a child.

Quote Originally Posted by esswei View Post
    Another reason to vax is because many programs and schools require it. I know someone who was recently rejected from a training program because he wasn't vaccinated as a child.
    This is definitely something to consider... the program I am applying to (in healthcare) requires all childhood vaccinations and flu shots to be done. I don't think there is any healthcare/medical program that doesn't require this, at least where I live. Along with all the other reasons to vaccinate, that's just another hassle I would want to avoid for my kids.
    Favourites at the moment ♥

Leah, Scarlett, Sophie, Claire, Vivian, Madeleine, Evangeline, Selena, Gillian, Nina, Mila, Heidi, Isla, Hazel, Annabelle, Lydia, Celia, Violet, Genevieve
    Elias, Eli, Dominic, Thatcher, Graham, Noel, Nolan, Chase, Mattias, Dean, Cole, Blake, Daniel, Ash, Rhys, Julian, Callum, Kieran, Aidan, Ronan

I am curious why some people opt not follow the vaccination schedule but rather choose 'space out' the vaccinations. Can anyone explain the reasoning behind this choice for me?
    Mama to twin boys Oliver Graham and Luke Axel

Quote Originally Posted by zaelia View Post
    I am curious why some people opt not follow the vaccination schedule but rather choose 'space out' the vaccinations. Can anyone explain the reasoning behind this choice for me?
    For me it was because I was cautious of injecting such a vast amount of foreign particles into my daughter. I wanted her to gain some weight and develop some natural immunity, before vaccinating her. It just seemed reckless to me to inject my brand new defenceless little baby with such a long list of strong ingredients, I was particularly worried about the mercury content in the vaccinations.

In the end, we opted for a delayed programme and have no regrets.

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Alice Tallulah, Polly Matilda, Rosalie Faye, Lucy Annabel, Maya Lillian, Hazel Kate, Eva Blossom, Juliet Lila, Ivy Camille.
    Charles Joshua "Charlie", Theodore Samuel "Teddy", Elliott Daniel, Noah Zachary, James Oscar, Arthur Philip, Rowan Isaac.