Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I appreciate the fact that this is a sensitive topic that people feel strongly about but no, not all of the studies have been proved as "frauds." Especially not the newer ones. But you've made your opinion clear on the topic, which is great if it makes you feel better. As a side note, I do personally plan on vaccinating, I was just answering Sarah's question.
    Christine

Pregnancy #1: lost to mc, 10/11

Amelia Joelle arrived on 11/28/13 at 7 pounds, 4 ounces of pure beauty. Couldn't be happier to finally be mommy!

Quote Originally Posted by sugarplumfairy View Post
    Except these studies have been exposed as frauds. The WHO and all credible organisations support vaccination.

Not vaccinating children on purpose is ignorant, irresponsible and endangers not only your kids but other people who can't vaccinate for many reasons (young babies, illnesses, pregnant women). It baffles me that the anti-vaccination movement is given any credibility.
    Agreed. Please, please, please, please...vaccinate your children. This is the consensus among all the doctors who taught us at school. (I am a pharmacist, recent 2013 grad) Unfortunately, there were fraudulent studies back in the 90's. And people listen to Jenny Mcarthy, which is unfortunate. Children are often diagnosed with autism at the young age when they also receive many vaccinations. But correlation is not causation. People don't think "Hey, my child didn't die of measles/mumps/rubella/polio/diptheria/pertussis" etc. because those diseases thankfully don't occur much thanks to vaccination. Instead, we look at what ailments our child may have and look for reasons. Remember, we vaccinate against deadly diseases. Autism is unfortunate, but not deadly. This is why I will still vaccinate my children even if they do find some credible link in the future.

Preventable diseases have begun to show up in communities where many families haven't vaccinated. Some children can't be vaccinated (before they are eligible or due to egg allergies, etc) and they rely on "herd immunity"-- basically, the diseases don't spread because so many other people are vaccinated. But when people voluntarily refuse to vaccinate their children, this "herd immunity" declines and not only are those children whose parents chose not to vaccinate at risk, but the children who can't be vaccinated are also at risk.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/12/health...91213measles7p
    Last edited by iamamiam; September 29th, 2013 at 11:43 PM.
    Personal Favorites: Mira Cairdeas and Darrow Paine

Best Wishes To All

@cvdutch - I've heard reasons for parents not wanting to vaccinate (links to autism, adverse reactions, etc). I just don't think they're proven or valid reasons and the benefits of vaccinations outweigh the risks. That's why I said I don't understand why it's controversial (i.e. why some parents think it's wrong).
    TTC #1

Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Jane - Margaret - Susannah - Violet

August - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

I think I agree Sarah, it's a tough call because it is such a big risk (either way). Having worked as an applied behavioral analysis therapist for autistic children, I can tell you flat-out that I would like to do anything in my power to avoid going down that road with my own children. No it's not fatal, but it's god-awful in a lot of cases (not in every case, of course). I worked with children who were 16, 17 and were still wetting their pants, couldn't identify themselves, would need to live in group homes for the rest of their lives. The research is highly contested at this point but nothing has been solidly proven, 100%, either way. One study will show a link, the next will disprove it. And so on, like all medical research. So there is no easy answer unfortunately. Until someone can say THIS is what causes Autism, this is why the number of cases has gone thru the roof, that's how it's going to stay.
    Last edited by cvdutch31; September 30th, 2013 at 01:38 AM.
    Christine

Amelia Joelle arrived on 11/28/13 at 7 pounds, 4 ounces of pure beauty. Couldn't be happier to finally be mommy!

But everyone would be helped immensely if people could just talk about it, openly, without copping an attitude, getting defensive or holier-than-thou or being a know-it-all and saying THIS IS HOW THINGS ARE! Because that's not helpful and it's not true. But again, I guess that could apply to most things mama(parenting)-related.
    Christine