Names Searched Right Now:
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebella View Post
    By mainland, I assume you mean Denmark? They 'own' us, or whatever you call it. Like... Shetland Islands belongs to Britain? And if I go there often... Well, mainly vacations. It doesn't happen much anymore.
    Okay, cool Yeah, that's what I meant. It's just I know some people living out on island groups have to commute back and forth all the time and some people never leave at all.

For those berries from New Zealand and Australia:
    I'm from the US, and I know that I tend to lump your two countries together.
    Is there any actual overlap between your countries aside from you both (I think) being part of the "Commonwealth" and being near each other.
    Two completely separate governments?
    Maori and Australian Aboriginals have nothing to do with each other?
    What are the biggest differences between your countries that you wished people knew?

Are there any berries from Spain?
    I've always wondered how Mexican Spanish differs from Spain Spanish. I don't speak Spanish fluently, but I can definitely hear the difference in terms of the lispy vs. hissiness. I'm much more familiar with the Spanish spoken by the Mexican and Latin American people, so when I hear it spoken by Spaniards it sounds like -ith the- -ith all the time
    Are there similar differences as between Brit and American English?

I'm from the Los Angeles area and I've got to say, I've traveled a lot and I honestly feel like portions of the US (especially the South and Midwest) are far more unfamiliar and foreign feeling for me than places like London, Athens, Munich, Paris (well maybe not Paris, but other French cities, lol). The culture in those states is just so vastly different from that of Southern California and I felt like a total alien there, while I found most of the international cities I've visited to be, if not always uber-comfy and friendly to the same degree, at least recognizable in terms of expectations for common people and the cosmopolitan feel. Guess I'm just a city girl.

I suppose the biggest misconception about LA is that everyone knows celebrities and/or acts like a celebrity (whether that be whiny or glamorous or self-absorbed). It's a really big place (way more spread out than most cities) and there are plenty of very plain, regular, and unexciting people here
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

Thanks @opheliaflora I´m also from the north but east coast From HST.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieandperry1 View Post
    Okay, cool Yeah, that's what I meant. It's just I know some people living out on island groups have to commute back and forth all the time and some people never leave at all.
    Oh, no we are not one of those islands... I mean we are around 50.000 people on 17 occupied islands. It's only the really small islands who keep commuting back and forth.
    My future ladies:
    Lý, Matilda, Lydia, Píl, Elsa, Anja, Lovisa, Flykra, Annalisa, Elisabeth & Ró

My future gentlemen:
    Ravnur, Oskar, Ùlvur & Linus

@bluebella: Wow, didn't know there was such a big population out there!

Quote Originally Posted by kala_way View Post
    Are there similar differences as between Brit and American English?
    There are SO many differences! I've never even been to the US and I've only met one American but I just find it amazing how many differences there are given that we speak the same language. And surely it must be similar with Spain/Mexico and Portugal/Brazil etc? There are the obvious spelling variations that everyone knows about (colour, realise etc) then there are different names for things, which is my favourite Your zucchini is our courgette, Tic Tac Toe = Noughts & Crosses, sidewalk = pavement, period = full stop...

Then there are words we both have which mean different things. US pants are trousers but UK pants are underwear. US cot is a camp bed, UK cot is a baby's crib. US suspenders hold up a man's trousers, but if a UK man said he was wearing suspenders he would get very odd looks

Words sound different too. I've heard paper route (which we call a paper round) pronounced so route rhymes with shout. Here it's route as in 'root'. And I've also noticed the short 'O' sound (like in Tom) generally gets lengthened to a longer 'AH' sound in many American accents. I should probably stop wittering on now. Language is amazing!