Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Mad Scribblers

Mad Scribblers

“If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you’re a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!”
    -Shel Silverstein

Hello writers! I'd love to talk writing with you all. I've been writing my entire life. I joined a mystery writing group when I was in third grade, and even though I no longer write mystery, it opened up my world. I know lots of folks are hesitant to put out plots in a public forum, and I don't blame you, but if you want to talk about your WIP or something you've written in the past, here's the place. Are any of you Wrimers? (National Novel Writing Month). I've been taking part for years, and it's an insane experience I strongly recommend.

I'm currently working on a re-write of something I'm completely nuts about, although in the back of my mind, I've got the wheels spinning for something else I'm anxious to start on so my head is all confusing. To put it simply, I'm writing about the children of a woman who created a fantasy world when she herself was young. Her children were created in the fantasy world, and the mother has always told them they have a destiny there. Now mother has gone missing, and the siblings have to go find her. It's in rewrite because the first draft was a Nano draft (messy messy messy!), and written first person perspective, which I ultimately found too limiting, so I'm changing it to third person.

Here's my Nano page if anyone would like to add me: *Click*

Looking forward to meeting any other writers.
    Last edited by redwoodfey; November 4th, 2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: took out unnecessary babbling
    Artemis Willow ☀ Cordelia Avalon ☀ Isabeau Forest ☀ Isadora Nightingale ☀ Lorelei Ondine ☀ Lyra Snow ☀ Pandora Everild ☀ Tabitha Eilonwy ☀ Thisbe Wildrose ☀ Thora Silmarien
    Caspian Wilder ☀ Conrad Elessar ☀ Damian Sparrow ☀ Desmond Thorn ☀ Evander Hart ☀ Everett Ward ☀ Gwydion Alaric ☀ Malachi Bjorn ☀ Peregrine Llyr ☀ Theodore Winter

writing a novel and preparing for the baby making
    our two furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander

This will be my third year doing NaNoWriMo. I love writing, but I never finish anything. :/ I have an extremely frustrating inability to translate what's in my head to paper.

I have never done NaNaWriMo. I keep meaning too but I'm always so busy. This year I'm editing my novel and publishing and that is so much more important.

I've been writing since I was 9. I saw a thing on the news about veterans writing their stories and, I don't know. Something clicked. I wrote poems until I was about 13. I was first published at 12 in a poem anthology. When I was 13, I met my friend Mary. She wrote fantasy and she wrote it often. She really got me pumped. I was hand writing several chapters a day when she was there to push me forward. I finished that novel, called Bow Before Griffin (which I need to change) that year at 300 hand written pages. So like 150 computer pages :P. I finished the second book (which was never named) the next year with 400ish and we were in the progress of writing a third combining our characters and worlds when she just sort of stopped.

I started working on this novel in about August of last year. I finished it mid-way through March. During a creative writing class I'd made a friend of a woman named Nickole Brown (who is a successful and professional poet and novelist) and she put me right in contact with her editor who in turn put me in contact with an editor in the correct genre. I'd already been rejected pretty soundly with a different manuscript all over so I'm decently surprised how much the man loved this one. I suppose because I'm friends with one of the other writers he works with is why I'm getting sort of a boost up quicker than most other people. He told me I have brutality to rival GRR Martin" and that I was reminiscent of him (I've never read the Song of Ice and Fire books so I wouldn't know). I had a quote by him in my signature but then I thought "That's too braggy" so I removed it. But he said "This is some of the most enjoyable writing I've read in a long time." and "The writing style is very smooth and cinematic. Descriptions are vivid but not overly florid..." and "There are moments of brutality that rank up there with Conan the Barbarian, Elric of Melnibone, and even George R.R. Martin. This is meant as a compliment of the highest order!" and "From mythology to action to characterization to emotion to vivid description, you've got the works! You make prose writing look effortless." and "There are not many writing-skill-related issues, just typos and/or punctuation confusion (some stuff with punctuation dialogue and dialogue tags)."

I know I just major bragged but...I can't help it! My family were sort of like "Yeah well, we knew that would happen." So I haven't gotten to experience any one being super happy with me. So when I finish my edits, I'll be sending it back to see what he has to say. If it's good enough (and it likely won't be) it'll go on to the next stage. More likely, I'll have to do more edits. That's the way it works.

The name -- The Awakening
    The plot -- (warning, this is just a quick blurb and it's not enormously good) Eons ago, in order to bring peace to her people, the Goddess Etrean created a power known as the Flame. However, instead of peace, the Flame has left only bloodshed and chaos in its wake. Now, in an attempt to defeat this ancient curse, an unlikely group of heroes will join forces and attempt to stand against those who would push the world beyond the brink, and watch mankind burn in the fires of the Black Flame.

The tagline -- Rebellion, insanity, and a quest to be free.

I've finished the second book and started on the third. They are The Transition and The Devouring. Between the end part of pregnancy where I was pretty much immobile and now (when I just finished the second) I wrote constantly to get it done before the baby got way too active. I'm hoping to finish the third by March. Then I'll be ahead of the publishers. I already have plans for a series in the same world but in the future of it. I have plans for a sci-fi series of books, and I plan on rewriting Griffin.

So, again, I bragged a ton but no one was very happy or excited over here so I can't help myself! I'd love to answer any questions or give advice or whatever. I also REALLY enjoy reading other peoples work and I REALLY enjoy the editing process so if anyone wants their work edited like a real editor would, pm me and I'll give you my email and you can send it to me. I've been taking a lot of classes for the editing process as I recently thought about being an editor. I'll be hard on you like a real editor but I won't be mean.
    Last edited by dantea; September 29th, 2013 at 01:16 AM.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

Kith nor Kin -- http://kithnorkin.blogspot.com/ Chapter 30 and Epilogue is up. It's done!
    Angel's Art -- https://www.facebook.com/danteasart
    http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

I keep signing up for NaNaWriMo, but never start writing. I have a story idea that I've been working on for years, but I can't get past the character outlines. I never finish anything and it drives me freaking nuts because the whole story is in my head, but I can't get it written down.

The title of the story is Secondhand Children. I'm not sure if I want it to be series or just a single novel yet.

The story is based on ten characters between the ages of 13 -20 who reside in a treatment facility. The story starts with a short scene 5 years after they get out of the facility talking cryptically about a fire. Afterwards it goes to when they first entered the facility. Another main character is the therapist that works with them during the time they are there.

I have a more detailed summary, but I can't find my writing binder. This thread has inspired me to go look for it. I'll come back and post more when I find it.
    Could you check out this thread please? I'll return the favor. Send me a PM.
    Link 1 and Link 2

Alice Hermione, Madeleine ?, Lilith Seraphine, Caroline Hazel, Rosemary Gloria, Hana Felicity, James Alaric Matthew, Henry Elijah/Henry Marcellus, Alexander Lucian Godfrey & Sebastian Rhys
    Not pregnant. Just collecting names. AthenaDanielle

Hello! I'd consider myself a writer. I've been writing for years. Before I knew how to read or write, I'd ask my grandma for a notebook and I'd draw stories out. I tried writing a novel when I was ten, but it never worked out. When I was nearly eleven, I published a short story in an anthology for young American writers. My heroine was named Hattie, and she was a run away slave.
    Since then I've written about five stories on quizilla.com.
    In this past year I've joined a writers group with two friends. What I like about being in a group is that we have different styles, but we can still openly discuss the plots and our characters. My genre is more historical fiction. My friend Sarah, writes about the supernatural (it's very YA, but she does an excellent job at it.) My other friend, Jade, is a poet, and a wonderful poet at that. The different perspective has been very helpful when working on my pieces.
    I'm currently very busy with school, but I have several ongoing projects. The first is a WWII era piece (most likely a novel) called "Rosamunde Drowns" . We see a young pianist allow tragedy to swallow her whole, taking the people she loves with her. I'm pretty happy with how it's going, but I'm only on chapter three.
    I also have a Victorian era piece going on, but that's much more muddled. I have an idea of the plot, and the name of the main character. After that, it's a big mess of bonnets and hoop skirts.
    For a while I was going to write a collection of short stories, but I got distracted with other things. That's about it. There are always other ideas floating around, but they never materialize. That's probably why I haven't tried doing the novel in a month!
    Anyway, it's nice to meet you fellow writers. Good luck with your projects!
    -Athena

Top Girls: Under Construction

Top Boys: Under Construction