Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Miller Barbara

I'm actually really digging it--- I'm from the South too and it's not so odd for little girls (and boys) to have family names. I know little girls named Seaton, Merritt, Sutton and Carling (all family names).

Miller also seems to fit into the hot "occupational" trend. Sort of...

You'll definitely face push back, but I understand where you are coming from.

Miller isn't for me. I do think that Barbara is pretty great in a retro kinda way. Millie is cute. I would go for Millicent Barbara, but that's just me!

I think it's wonderful you're honoring loved one, but I'm really not sure about this pairing. I agree with many pp that just Millie ( especially if that's what she was called) is a great choice and pairs well with your boys makes. Other Mil names to honor her still:

Mila
    Emilia
    Milan
    *Magnolia Alice/ Evangeline Clover/ Adelaide Clover/ Athena Violet/
    Liliana Wren/ Georgiana Snow/ Eugenie Marigold/Ottilie Amina*

*Osias Grey/August Grey/Thatcher Fox/ Ignatius Grey/Hawthorne Flynn/
    Jasper August/ *

Thanks everyone so far. I see the issue with giving her such an unusual, uncommon name while her brothers have more mainstream ones. I truly don't want her to have to struggle her whole life! I'm still holding on to it even with the not so positive reactions of most, since the nn Millie could work out so well. I think maybe the issue may be that since Barbara is so dated, I feel like I need to find something modern and fresh to counteract it. That's why things like Amelia and Millicent don't do it for me. I am super glad to see that Barbara is getting a positive reaction though, since it's so important to me.

With the family meaning, push back and negative opinions at the start may be worth it. It seems better than sort of opening the baby name book and pointing a finger at whatever comes up. Coming from a city where there are little girls named Carson, Ryan and Baysden at my younger son's preschool, I don't feel like she would be standing in left field if she were named Miller.

Has anyone ever known a Miller?

I am from New England and it doesn't really phase me these days, but I have quite a unique naming style, but it is really cute and unique and it will give your daughter options as far as what she may prefer to be called at age five vs age 15, etc. Go for it.