Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    To me, Jake doesn't have a juvenile sound, so it doesn't bother me as a full name. I do personally prefer a longer full name option, but it's just a matter of different taste/style. A full name, for me, is more sophisticated, adult sounding, professional looking, more historic and usually has more options.

I know someone who hates her childhood nickname, and as an adult uses her full name with most people. This aversion meant that when she had her own children, she decided that they would most certainly not have nicknames. She figured you should be named, on paper, whatever you will be called; however, she used ended up using "nickname" names - one syllable names that are generally known as shortened versions of more formal names, and can't really get any shorter. Now, all of her children have nicknames anyway (mostly given by her, and longer than their official names).

I think nicknames happen spontaneously, whether you want them or not. In that sense, I feel like avoiding a nickname is useless. You may as well name your child Jacob and call them Jake. It will grow up with them better. I also have a nickname, and as an adult prefer that over my full name, except in formal situations. I cringed when my mother ordered my senior portfolio with my nickname, it looked so juvenile, even though I almost exclusively use a nickname. I like my full name being on job applications, diplomas, paperwork, licenses. I feel like it's better to have too much than not enough - even though maybe they shouldn't, people will inevitably assume that Ricky is a Richard, Tom is a Thomas, Lexi is an Alexandra, and as someone with a long name, I think it's easier to go shorter than longer.

I just like the formality of a longer name with a history AS an option. Claire has that. Lily has that. Anne has that. Joy has that.
    It's not just that I like a name with options in general. It's a grown-up, flexible, classic, formal name AS one of the options, and as THE default option when being read off the paperwork.

For a made-up example, Janeybella has options: Jane, Janey, Belle, Bella, or the full Janeybella. Jane and Belle are perfectly grown up options. But the full name, Janeybella, sounds ridiculous and little-kid like; the whole thing sounds like a goofy nickname, and that's what would be seen on employment paperwork, school applications, etc.
    Since the name on the birth cert IS the default name, I always want that name to have formality and class.

Nicknames are intimate, they're personal, they don't necessarily ask to be taken seriously. I'd rather my doctor be named Jane than Janey, because it's a more serious name and more appropriate for an adult.

I do know an adult sibset of Will and Ben, and it suits them. They're short names, but they're grown-up names with a little formality and elegance nonetheless. A female equivalent might be Meg; it's a nickname, but it's not casual or childlike the way Maggie is.

For me, Jake sits squarely in the middle. It's not formal, but it's not cutesy at all; it's solid and rugged, so I don't mind it, though I prefer Jacob.

I just like the formality of a longer name with a history AS an option. Claire has that. Lily has that. Anne has that. Joy has that.
    It's not just that I like a name with options in general. It's a grown-up, flexible, classic, formal name AS one of the options, and as THE default option when being read off the paperwork.

For a made-up example, Janeybella has options: Jane, Janey, Belle, Bella, or the full Janeybella. Jane and Belle are perfectly grown up options. But the full name, Janeybella, sounds ridiculous and little-kid like; the whole thing sounds like a goofy nickname, and that's what would be seen on employment paperwork, school applications, etc.
    Since the name on the birth cert IS the default name, I always want that name to have formality and class.

Nicknames are intimate, they're personal, they don't necessarily ask to be taken seriously. I'd rather my doctor be named Jane than Janey, because it's a more serious name and more appropriate for an adult.

I do know an adult sibset of Will and Ben, and it suits them. They're short names, but they're grown-up names with a little formality and elegance nonetheless. A female equivalent might be Meg; it's a nickname, but it's not casual or childlike the way Maggie is.

For me, Jake sits squarely in the middle. It's not formal, but it's not cutesy at all; it's solid and rugged, so I don't mind it, though I prefer Jacob.

Everything @dovah said, basically. Haha.
    ♂ Ellis Christopher / Asher Estlin / Seth Joshua / Gordon Thomas / Russell Joseph ♂
    ♀ Marilyn Kay / Joanna Kathryn / Tessa Diane / Nola Elaine / Christine Ruby ♀