Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Career Choice!

Eh I'm still not very sure. A few years ago I decided I wanted to be a writer. But I get bored with writing easily and get writers block every single time I try to write. So take that plus the fact that you probably are not going to get paid very much for a long time, I don't think it's for me. I just don't have the determination and I'm not willing to put in the effort.

At the moment I'm questioning what kind of jobs I would be GOOD AT versus what I WANT to do. I question my abilities and intelligence a lot so I'm always changing my mind on what careers I should put myself into. Sometimes I love the idea of a job but then I look up on the college/university requirements and competitiveness and stress and then I change my mind about that job because I don't think I could do it.

Careers I want to do (but can't for some reason or another):

Midwifery (I love the idea of just being one on one with a person and helping them through something like that. Plus at the end, you get to see cute babies! Only thing is it is a VERY competitive field pretty much anywhere. It's an on-call job which sucks. Also a lot of universities don't take students right out of high school and expect you to have a lot of experience in the medical (or anything child related) field before they ask you to join the classes. So I would pretty much have to be a nurse first THEN try this...but by that time I might be 50, tired and have no money to pay for the classes)

Teacher *either Early Childhood or Elementary* Another way I can be around kids....another plus is I love sharing what I know about history....only problem is I'm very shy, have a hard time speaking in front of groups and...I'm really not good with any kid over the age of 1...I just freeze up and don't know what to do with myself. That and my mom says I'm not a good teacher cause I get frustrated easily...

Pediatrician- Haha, if I thought trying to become a midwife was hard....

Adoption Counselor- It would fix a lot of problems I'm having but it's really not something I want to do. It's a huge responsibility trying to make sure the right children go to the right parents...

If Historians got paid more and had more stability in their careers I would consider being one.

I really think it will be a few years before I make up my mind. Right now I think I got to increase my confidence. :P

Sorry I kinda went on a rant there. :P

Just call me Pandora...

Orpheus Brian Roscoe, Apollo Michael Leander, Rainier Finnian Castor, Tristan Eli Declan, Stellan Wolfram Asher, Florian Ezra Lucius, Pyramus Damon Emery, Raphael William Laszlo
    Matilda Rosamund June, Adelaide Poppy Renée , Rosalie Elena Iris , Mary Aine Willow, Ariadne Margot Lilith, Isobel Calliope Snow, Nadia Ivy Elizabeth, Eleanor Beatrice Rain

When I was in high school I loved art but knew I didn't want to be a "starving artist" or a teacher. I want more stability. So knitting is my creative outlet in my free time. I also love the life sciences and knew I wanted to major in Biology in undergrad and at first I considered dentistry, but I didn't want to actually own my own business so changed my mind eventually.

In college I especially loved learning anatomy and physiology and how drugs affect the body. So after sophomore year I interned at a hospital pharmacy and loved it. Then I worked at a large chain drugstore part-time while finishing undergrad and went to pharmacy school after that. I entered pharmacy school in the fall of 2008. Pharmacist starting salaries were at an all-time high. Guaranteed to make 100K right out of school! they said. Plus sign-on bonuses! Then the recession hit. I was still working part-time at a large chain drugstore and didn't like the way pharmacists were pressured to hurry up so they could cut hours and save money...and they forced pharmacists who had been working at one store to float (play substitute traveling pharmacist) again. I crossed that chain off of places I would ever work for. I also got an additional masters degree to increase my options when I graduated. The job market has tightened up a bit and it is very difficult to initially get a job that is not at a chain drugstore without a residency (which is now another 2 years...a 2 years I was not willing to put my life on hold for any longer).

Starting salaries, in my area, have gone down since I entered pharmacy school and it is again a field where one has to work one's way up. The market is quite regional. People willing to work in rural areas shouldn't have a problem, generally speaking. (I basically got my job because I grew up in the middle of nowhere and the recruiter was having difficulty finding anyone to stay at a rural store) But those tied to certain metropolitan areas may find it very difficult to find a position. If I had it to do all over again, I would. But I don't know if I would recommend it to my teenage stepchildren unless they knew that they absolutely loved community pharmacy and were prepared to live with tons of debt...pharmacy school just keeps getting more and more expensive; it is ridiculous and the Pay as You Earn plan is going to be needed by anyone who doesn't have a benefactor footing their school bill.

Careers I think would have also been a good fit, and that I would recommend my stepchildren look into: actuary, radiology technician, medical sonographer, dental hygenist, dentist, nurse midwife
    Last edited by iamamiam; September 27th, 2013 at 08:39 PM.
    Personal Favorites: Mira Cairdeas and Darrow Paine

Best Wishes To All

Oh, I don't know. I'm a college senior now but I still don't know. I recently complete my internship program and they said I'll make a good copywriter. *sigh We'll see latter.

Beside copywriter (which I already consider before anyone told me to do so), I still want to study art, or becoming a psychologist, or work in wedding organizer, or.. I don't know.
    Call me Cynthia, Angie, or Luna. 22. Name nerd.

Clemency | Clementine | Juliette | Helena | Isabelle | Annabelle | Evangeline | Seraphina | Rosalind | Violetta
    Vanessa | Audrey | Ariadne | Callista | Belphoebe | Bellatrix | Lyra | Valencia | Valentina | Laetitia | Cytherea
    Gavriel | Hermes | Flynn | James | Orion | Alexander | Caspian | Peregrine | Marius | Altair
    Callum | Cadmus | Jason | Perseus | Theseus | Oliver | Éomund | Luca | Amias

I decided to major in Elementary Education. I have taught third grade one year and fifth grade another. I am taking this school year off for two reasons. One reason (the major reason) being there was a chance we were going to have to move if my husband got a certain job and the other being that we thought it would be a good idea for me to take it kind of easy during this pregnancy. I love working with children and I have loved teaching. If anyone has any questions about teaching, I would be happy to answer them. I am hardly an expert, but I can tell you what I have loved and disliked about it so far.
    Step-Mother to three lovely children - Josiah Lewis (14), Stella Evangeline (8), and Emma Catherine (4)

Expecting Baby Chicken on February 3, 2014
    It's a boy!
    Rhys Andrew, Milo Andrew, Conrad Henry, or August Henry/August Charles

Please can a really old person butt in?

Aged 40 I'd say the careers that have been the most rewarding amongst my friends are the ones with a good answer to 'why am I doing this?'. A positive feeling of being in control of your work, having variety and making a contribution are rewarding and this isn't often the case among writers I know during a decade working on magazines. Medical careers, teaching, law seem to bring more fulfilment. Most writers aren't doing creative writing but practicing a trade. Most actors are unemployed so a rewarding and interesting back up plan is wise. Also, know yourself: do you work well on your own? Meet deadlines? Good and organisedat chasing and submitting invoices as a freelance writer? Love working every Saturday as an event organiser? I recommend asking peoe who do a job you are interested in to meet you for a 15 minute coffee to find out what's involved, most are happy to help.

Another huge factor in how happy my friends are at 40 is the flexibility of your job around childcare: you will have to cover school holidays and after hours care for decades if you have three kids! Can you come back at a decent level after time off with kids? Work part time? Long hours and travel are less appealing when you miss your children. If child care is £15 per hour and taxes around 20% you need to earn at least £35 per hour to take home £15 for every hour you work out of which you need to pay for travel, food and housing. I earn £47 per hour but 'take home' minimum wage after paying for childcare for two. Teaching is the only career that works with children because your hours match and you can do your prep at home in the evenings. Something to think about.

Good luck and remember, you don't have to decide everything now, there are a ton of jobs out there you've never heard of: I work in wine marketing and education and I love it!
    Thrilled to be mother to @gnes Ei1ish Madeline and Fe1icity Bridget Be@trice

If we'd had boys the list was: Godfrey, Seamus, Alexander, Michael, Felix, Peter, Ignatius & Sebastian.