Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Lightbulb New Berry Here - Stuck on Girls Names, Leaning towards Old Fashioned Names

My husband and I are expecting our second in January '14. We have a 19 month old boy and are expecting a girl this time around Our little boy's name is Graham and we are completely stuck on our girl name list. Our last name is Smith.....so the name needs to be somewhat interesting

We tend to like somewhat old fashioned/vintage names but have a hard time agreeing on any. I am a bit more adventurous than the hubby with names so we need to find a middle ground.

*Side note, I am a veterinarian and so any names that are popular dog/cat names usually get ruled off my list

Here is MY list, including which ones the hubby has been ok with.

First Names:
    Olive (I love this one, hubby says he would only go for it if we named her Olivia and called her Olive as a NN)
    Etta (Rosetta, Henrietta, Loretta)
    Nora *So far this is the only one we both like but we are not sold on it
    Frankie (Francine)
    Willa (not great with the last name smith due to sounding too much like Will Smith)
    Roxanne (Roxy) - *Hubby's suggestion
    Maeby *Both like but again not sold on it
    Lorelai (I love, hubby not so much)
    Marley
    Beatrix
    Liza

Middle Names:
    June *Both like for middle
    Cordelia
    Mae
    Ruby
    Polly
    Bea

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, can't wait to see what you all have up your sleeves!

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Nameberry momosmitty! I hope you like it here.

What about:

Frances
    Viola/Violet
    Jemima
    Wilhelmina (can be nicknamed Willa)
    Matilda
    Eleanor
    Pippa
    Hannah
    Lucinda/Lucy
    Cora
    Penelope
    Julia/Juliet
    Emilia
    Grace
    Lillian/Lily
    Caroline
    Charlotte
    Adeline
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Scarlett, Portia, Felicity, Juliet
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

Congratulations! My first thought is that I love Lorelai too! Hee hee Are there any nn's in that name your hubby likes? Elle, Rory, Lola, etc??? I like Olive, but with big brother Graham you have a strong food theme in the works - (Graham crackers, olives). I agree about Willa sounding too much like Will Smith, especially since that family is turning out so weird...I like Roxy Smith...do you like it? Maeby are Marley are cute, I'm surprised they are not more popular with pets, especially Marley. Beatrix is sweet, and happy....really all of your choices are great, with the exception of Willa (because of last name), Frankie (too boyish with brother Graham, imo, and Olive (because of the food theme). Those are the three I would eliminate and go from there...
    What about a name that could give you Polly as a first name? I like Graham and Polly together....maybe Penelope, nn Polly? I also really like Cordelia as a first name...Graham & Cordelia - lovely! I was going to suggest the nn Coco, but Graham and Coco is really snack-y, yikes! I seem to have talked myself in circles here! Honestly I don't know if I've helped AT ALL, or only muddled things. My top picks would be Lorelai Bea or Roxanne Marley or Leonora Mae, nn Nora or Leo or Lea....Good luck!

Olive --I love Olive, but not Olivia.
    Etta --classy, sounds good with both Graham and Smith
    Nora --this name has always felt a little boring to me. Maybe it's the "OR" sound?
    Frankie (Francine) --not my style, but actually a cute name for a little girl. I prefer Florence.
    Willa --yeah, I would say drop this one, unfortunately.
    Roxanne (Roxy) --nope, not over the song yet.
    Maeby --another nope, can't get away from Arrested Development.
    Lorelai --I'm not a fan due to personal associations
    Marley --This sounds like a dog's name to me!
    Beatrix --I like Olive and Etta better for you
    Liza --Eliza!!

My top suggestions:

Etta Mae Smith
    Olive Bea Smith
    Eliza Mae/Bea Smith
    Current favorites: Olive, Louise/Louisa, Magdalene/Madeline, Phillipa, Talitha, Mallory, Blythe, Eliza, Mercy, Talia; Calvin, Charles, Gideon, Abram, Jude, Reuben, George, Reid, Clark, Holden.

I love Etta, on its own and as a nickname. Rosetta is too Rosetta Stone for me; Henrietta is a bit stuffy, but you'd have the option of Hattie or Etta; but my favorite is Loretta... beautiful! Works with June too.

Of course I also love: Olive, Nora, Francine nn Frankie, Beatrix, Ruby, Cordelia..... i'm no help. Good luck!

omg I didn't even associate Liza with Eliza! Eliza June would be perfect too.