Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clio

Clio

I've always been partial to the long/full names over the nickname names
    i.e. Adele over Addie
    Frances over Franny
    Madeline over Maddy
    No Maebys, Maisies etc for me
    and never been into nickname names. I've just liked my kids to have a bit of an ability to go more serious/traditional if they'd like (depending on the situation)
    But now I'm so drawn to Clio...
    Does Clio seem nicknamey, or does it stand on it's own as a full name?
    Thanks!

I dislike nicknames-as-names but I like SHORT names.

I'm quite fond of Ivy, Noa, Ada, Jane, Clare, Fern, Lily, Amy, Lila... none of which feel overtly nickname-y to me. Despite being SHORTER than some names that do feel nickname-y.

Clio lands on the edge. I think it just makes it over to the safe side of a name that's just short. Barely. It's like Mae: I really like it, but it's aaaalmost in the land of nickname-only for me. I think it's helped by Chloe and Clare/Claire being so effective as full names. Coco *doesn't* make it for me, though.

I don't think of Clio as nick-namey but rather as a short name (as mentioned by stripedsocks). I suppose you could always go with Cleopatra if you had to have a "full" name.

I prefer Cleo to Clio (not intended to be vulgar, but clio looks like a an abbreviated version of clitoris).

Clio is a short name (where as Cleo is a nn to me). Not all short names are nick names. Clio has history and she's one of the muses in Greek mythology (of history). She's short, spunky, historical, mythological, good on any age, sweet... It's one of those names that has it all.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

Kith nor Kin -- http://kithnorkin.blogspot.com/ Chapter 30 and Epilogue is up. It's done!
    Angel's Art -- https://www.facebook.com/danteasart
    http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Quote Originally Posted by collmcc523 View Post
    I don't think of Clio as nick-namey but rather as a short name (as mentioned by stripedsocks). I suppose you could always go with Cleopatra if you had to have a "full" name.

I prefer Cleo to Clio (not intended to be vulgar, but clio looks like a an abbreviated version of clitoris).
    Ahh so I'm not the only one who can't help but think that too!