Names Searched Right Now:

Question Calling all Nursing and/or Teacher Berries!

Hello! I'm currently 16 years old and a junior in high school in the midwest United States. We're starting to fill out our schedule requests for senior year (wtf?!) which seems crazy to me since I don't feel that "old" but anyways, the form is due on the 17th. We get to pick our math class for next year (which is new to me since I've been assigned since 6th grade) and I have no idea what to pick so I'd love some help from any teacher berries and I'd love to hear from nursing/doctor/anyone in the medical field berries as well about the other classes I'm planning to take!

A bit of background: Right now I'm looking at becoming a nurse for a career, specifically interested in NICU or just pregnancy, delivery, and babies in general (maybe not even a nurse, I don't know!) My number one college choice right now is the University of North Carolina (if money were not an issue, I'm also looking at Duke University). Ultimately, I'm looking for a school with a good BSN (bachelor science in nursing) program, among other things (if needed, I'd be happy to list some other requirements or school ideas I have). However, since UNC is very far out of state, most of the teachers in my school can only help for in-state or nearby schools. I'm not sure what classes would be good for me to take to have a better shot at getting in so I'd love a bit of help!

When it comes to math, this year I'm taking Integrated III which is part of the common core program. The class is fairly easy for me, I've easily kept an A all year with only a couple slips into the B+ area, but I've had issues with math in the past. Freshman and sophomore year had some rough patches. I'm in grade level math and have been since at least 6th grade. Next year my options are college algebra, AP* stats, and intermediate algebra. I'm leaning towards college algebra because it's a weighted class (so I only have to get a B to actually get an A), it's worth college credit, and it seems to be at the right level for me. Intermediate algebra would be next but I'm worried it's too easy and might make it look like I'm bad at math on a transcript. AP stats I've heard is SUPER hard and I'm not sure I want a hard class for math (especially since I don't like math) but it's also weighted and would look really good.

When it comes to other classes, I'm taking Anatomy currently which doesn't count for college credit but is only slightly below a college level class. I took Human Growth and Development sophomore year. I'm also taking Psychology right now and I'm thinking about taking AP Psych next year (also interested in that field of work). Along with that, I'll be in AP English and French IV so I'm looking at potentially having three classes count towards college credit for senior year. I'm in AP English and French III currently. I'm enrolled at a local community college but I'm not sure if the credits will transfer out of state so I'm taking the AP test in the spring (there's no test for French though). I also really enjoy history so I'm thinking about taking AP Euro next year but it's probably gonna be either that or AP Psych. The other one I'll probably take in college. Excluding the math, English, and government classes I need to take next year, I'm set on all my other credits to graduate. If you need/want any more info on classes I've taken, I'd be happy to answer!

This year I'm in NHS at my school and I plan on continuing next year. Along with that, my school is starting French NHS which I'm eligible to join, so I will. Out of school, I'm a competitive dancer for a recreational team which I will continue next year. This year I do about 12 hours a week and I'm not looking to change it too drastically next year unless I truly have to. Second semester as seniors we can go part time which I'd like to do since it would allow me to get a job but some people have told me that colleges don't like that (even though I'd be making money so I can give it to them). Any thoughts on part time?

I think that's all I want to mention out front. Sorry for the long post but I thought I should give you as much information as I could. Any advice, suggestions, words of encouragement, or criticisms (relevant ones) would be really appreciated and I'd be happy to answer any questions or clarifications to the best of my ability! Thank you!!

*AP stands for Advanced Placement, also called Honors
    Abby • 16 • Competitive Dancer • Writer

Aurora Zephyr|Azula Violet|Elowen Saskia|Elysia Parker|Fable Sofia
    Iris Odelia|Kaia Josephine|Maeve Artemis|Saela Vesper|Vivian Aria

Calista • Elsa • Lila • Mabel • Matilda • Reyna • Sabrina • Tallulah

Archer Murray|August Laurence|Caspian Ellis|Conrad Emory|Fabian James
    Flynn Alexander|Lachlan Sage|Magnus Wolfe|Nolan Shepherd|Rory Xavier

Caius • Matias • Memphis • Nico • Percy • Ridley • Seamus • Torin

Parker

Hello! So I'm not actually a nursing student, but I was in a special health sciences program in high school and a lot of my classmates are currently nursing majors. It's hard work but so far they absolutely love what they've been learning. I don't know too much about UNC specifically, but if that's a dream school of yours definitely don't just throw the idea out! You never know where life may take you.

For math, if you plan on going into nursing AP stat is probably your best bet. I took it my senior year and it was not hard at all (ok this is a slight lie; what i mean is it's no more overwhelming than any other AP classes). I was able to keep an A the whole year and I got a 4 on the exam. I did end up having to retake the class to count towards my college degree, but that was because I'd already gotten transfer math credits for a different course. Stat's a lot wordier than other maths, but it also has very clear practical applications which for me always makes math more bearable.

I know most nursing students end up taking certain required psych classes (not sure which ones exactly) so AP psych could be a good idea!! It was really fun when I took it, but I guess it could depend on the teacher as well. It was hands down the easiest/most enjoyable AP I ever took. If it's between psych and euro, I say take psych. But as I've mentioned, my experiences might be different than yours.

If you want your credits from comm. college to transfer I highly suggest actually getting a 2 year degree. According to a professor I had, they're much more likely to accept your work if you can prove you completed a program rather than just some classes on their own. Again policies vary at different colleges/universities, but checking their websites could be a good place to start. Most will have transfer guides available for you to see which credits transfer to their school and what are their equivalents.

I'm sorry this is so long!! I just know how stressed my friends and I were when we started looking into colleges. There's so many choices and that much freedom after years of being told exactly what to take and when you'll be in class can be overwhelming. If you have any questions let me know and I can try my best to help. Good luck with everything
    bex | 19 | speech pathology student
    ashton riley ♦ calum william ♦ felix joseph ♦ kristopher atlas ♦ robin jasper ♦ sidney blaine
    beatrice ariella ♦ elsa liliana ♦ eliza frances ♦ josephine louise ♦ ursula rose ♦ krista lyn marie

@Bex, thank you for the advice! I wanted to reply earlier but was swamped with homework last night and pretty much went to dance, did homework, then went to sleep. My parents and I are going to discuss my schedule more thoroughly over the long weekend so it's nice that I'll also have this to help too.

Most of the people in my school (and I've heard this is common for many public schools) are planning to go to a state school or one nearby. Their idea of an "out-of-state school" is the next state over (and since I live less than an hour from the border, it's like going to an in-state school just with out-of-state tuition). That's why my counselors aren't as experienced with kids going far, far away. I have my heart set on getting the crap out of here once I graduate. It's one of the things that makes 2017 seem so far.

It's interesting to hear your experience with AP stats, since everyone I know taking it is about ready to pull their hair out. I sat by a girl last semester who was taking stats, very bright girl, who just barely got a C+ for first quarter. I've technically only taken one AP class before which is the English class I'm in now (I took Pre-AP classes freshman and sophomore year which are just accelerated courses). It's fairly easy but I'm really good at English. Math, like I said, is touch and go. If it's what you recommend though, I'll give it another thought.

I was leaning towards taking AP Psych over Euro, so I'm glad that's a good idea. I would have the same teacher next year and she's absolutely awesome. Some of my friends are also planning on taking it too.

With the credits, I don't necessarily need them to transfer, although it'd be nice. I'd rather not actually attend community college since I, again, really want to get out of here, lol! An option for the shortened day would also be to take classes at the college but I'd rather be making money during that time than losing it. It's something to think about though.

Thank you for the response!
    Abby • 16 • Competitive Dancer • Writer

Aurora Zephyr|Azula Violet|Elowen Saskia|Elysia Parker|Fable Sofia
    Iris Odelia|Kaia Josephine|Maeve Artemis|Saela Vesper|Vivian Aria

Calista • Elsa • Lila • Mabel • Matilda • Reyna • Sabrina • Tallulah

Archer Murray|August Laurence|Caspian Ellis|Conrad Emory|Fabian James
    Flynn Alexander|Lachlan Sage|Magnus Wolfe|Nolan Shepherd|Rory Xavier

Caius • Matias • Memphis • Nico • Percy • Ridley • Seamus • Torin

Parker

Hey it's no problem I understand the appeal of leaving; I have friends who joined the military or went as far away as Louisiana, California, and one is even in Ireland? Lol that one was very unexpected.

Yeah, I was kind of forced into taking AP/honors courses. I took AP(s) euro, psych, calculus AB, English, and stat. Two good things that came out of that: I was able to get college credit for (most of) them, and I learned that colleges would rather see you do average in an AP than excel in a non-honors class. They like to see you push yourself, just not to the point where you're failing all your classes you know? I did well in stat but a lot of it had to do with the teacher; I'd had her before and knew she was amazing! Our class was small (~10 ppl) so it was also easy to get help from her.

I don't have experience working while in school. Even now in my 2nd year of college I don't because I know I wouldn't be able to handle working and keeping my grades up/transferring schools. If you think you can handle it and it's something you want to do, then by all means go for it though!
    bex | 19 | speech pathology student
    ashton riley ♦ calum william ♦ felix joseph ♦ kristopher atlas ♦ robin jasper ♦ sidney blaine
    beatrice ariella ♦ elsa liliana ♦ eliza frances ♦ josephine louise ♦ ursula rose ♦ krista lyn marie

I graduated with my BSN in 2015 and now work as a Labor and Delivery Nurse!

My suggestion would be to take as many AP classes and the tests that will transfer over as college credit. History is a good idea, to get some gen eds out of the way. I took both AP English classes and my university only accepted one..

As far as math classes go, have you taken an algebra class yet? I think they're required but I dont remember. If so, and you did well and are good at math, don't worry about college algebra, take AP stats. In high school, I was lucky to have an amazing stats teacher and the class was a breeze. Depending on your ACT scores in math, you may test out of college algebra, like I did. I never took a math class in college.

As for AP Psych vs AP Euro, its your call. You'll need psych for nursing school, usually General Psych and Lifespan Psych but you'll also probably have to take some gen ed in the history dept.

Look at the school you want to go to, look at their suggested courses for the program to get an idea of what you'll need to take. Find out what score on AP tests you need to have them accept credit. Check out their categories of gen eds, see what appeals to you.

Nursing school is no joke. It's crazy hard and competitive. I've heard that its one of the hardest bachelors degree to get. That being said, take classes in college that will help keep your GPA up.
    Mommy to my furry babies, Toby and Arya.

Expecting our first nugget in October 2016!