Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Portuguese speakers?

Are there any other Portuguese speakers on Nameberry?

I've been learning for a couple months now, and I'm hoping to be semi-conversational, at least, by the time I go to Brazil (fingers crossed!) next July (I know I have a year, but I want to be prepared!). I sponsor a little girl in Brazil named Sabrina, and if we get to Brazil (it sounds like we will!), I'll get to meet her, and I'd love to be able to speak to her in her own language. I did this once with French, a while back (well, a French thread, anyway), and it was semi-successful, but I don't know if there's anywhere near as many Portuguese speakers. There used to be several Brazilians on here, but I don't know if they frequent NB anymore.

If anyone out there is interested, feel free to either PM me, I guess, or if there's a few of us, we could turn this thread into a little Portuguese community?

Obrigada!
    Ashley
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction.

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles | Grace Odilia Lily
    Grant Frédéric Conrad | Adele Sofia Eloise | Casper Nathaniel Eden | Eva Madelief Kate | Samuel Gaspard John

Thinking about Lucia Charlotte and Sebastian Harbor James today.

I've recently started a story--join me! havengermany.blogspot.com

Hi Ashley!

My father immigrated from Brazil to America in the 90s, and I have dual-citizenship (America and Brazil!). I've grown up surrounded by the Portuguese language (spoken by my father and mother), so I understand it quite perfectly (whether read or spoken aloud). Personally, it takes immersion in Brazil on trips to become a bit more fluent on my end, just because I don't speak it as often here in America. So for me it's sort of a one-way street; it's effortless to read and understand, but as far as using it myself on the spot, I'm a bit rusty (even though my pronunciation is good). I'm currently studying it myself, to get a better perspective on something that has mostly been instinctual since I was little.
    If you need any help with syntax or regional dialect questions, I'd be happy to answer any questions! (Even general ones about Brazil- I have a lot of family there.)
    just a name collector

SOLOMON Reynard ✧ OSCAR Matteo ✧ SYLVAN Raphael
    Felix Oberon ✣ Arthur Malcolm ✣ Julius Vincent ✣ Frederic Nathaniel

VIVECA Magdalen ✧ ROSAMUND Beatrix ✧ PALOMA Celeste

Cosima Signe ✣ Esmé Clarimond ✣ Evadne Valencia ✣ Neoma Lucile

Thanks so much! I may just have to PM you, since it seems like not too many others are biting.

That's so exciting that you have dual citizenship, and that you get to travel there quite a lot! I wish I was able to go there more often.

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles | Grace Odilia Lily
    Grant Frédéric Conrad | Adele Sofia Eloise | Casper Nathaniel Eden | Eva Madelief Kate | Samuel Gaspard John

Hey Ashley!

I recently started learning Portuguese as well. I'm not all that great, but I hope to improve so that I would be able to understand, and hopefully reply, if I ever had the chance to meet someone who speaks Portuguese.

That's awesome that you might get to go to Brazil. I wish I could. Maybe someday.

If you want to try to practice or something, feel free to PM me. It would be cool to be able to actually practice with someone (besides myself ).
    Last edited by thatonegirl; July 21st, 2016 at 02:20 PM.
    Nicholas Alder *Nick* • Edward Oakes *Eddie* • Percival Jude *Percy* • Reuben Lars *Rue* • Artem Sage
    Elijah • Oliver • Noah • Lane • Caspian *Cas* • Stephen • Gale • William *Will* • Gabriel *Gabe*

Skylar Matilda *Skye* • Gwendolen Honor *Gwen* • Cassandra Lenore *Andi* • Eleanor Lily *Ella* • Thalia Blair
    Liesel • Vesper • Seren • Iris • Rowena • Selene • Cecilia • Azalea • Ferrin • Tessa • Winter • Marjorie *Rory* • Sylvia *Sylvie*

Quote Originally Posted by thatonegirl View Post
    Hey Ashley!

I recently started learning Portuguese as well. I'm not all that great, but I hope to improve so that I would be able to understand, and hopefully reply, if I ever had the chance to meet someone who speaks Portuguese.

That's awesome that you might get to go to Brazil. I wish I could. Maybe someday.

If you want to try to practice or something, feel free to PM me. It would be cool to be able to actually practice with someone (besides myself ).
    Ha, you should come with us on our mission trip!! PM'ing you right now! I haven't gotten completely through my app that I'm using to learn Portuguese, so I'm not as versatile as I should be in French (le sigh, I've lost quite a lot, and never fully mastered some of the verb tenses), but I expect to be completely through all the lessons soon, and still know a couple different verb tenses so I can get by.