Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Getting Crafty

Getting Crafty

So I've never posted in this part of the forums but I was wanting some help/feedback. My cousins wife if expecting her first little boy in June. His name is Oscar and she wants the family to create stuff instead of give gifts. I'm a graphic designer/illustrator so I'm trying to think of something fun and creative (beyond just a nice picture) to make for them. The theme is forest animals (owls, foxes, etc). Does anyone have any suggestions or links to some crafts? I'm on the way to search the internet now
    Devin | 23 | Married | Illustrator | US
    Momma of furbabies and collector of names
    Anime♥Fantasy♥Books
    Dreaming of...

Fox Thomas ● Caspian Vaughn ● Elijah Wolf ● Theo Beauregard
    Aria Estellise ● Elowen Davina ● Rose Cassidy ● Shiloh Fallon

Alaric ● Eden ● Kitt ● Leon ● Lyric ● Orion
    Arwen ● Cinder ● Elva ● Ember ● Fable ● Juliette ● Snow ● Thea

Bonaventure ● Corvo ● Leonidas ● Luxe
    Bianca ● Echo ● Elvira ● Jocelyn ● Sonnet ● Story ● Valkyrie

...suggestions are welcome!

Firstly, let me say your cousin and his wife have beautiful taste, I adore Oscar. As for crafts, I see you are an illustrator, but can you sew? I think a blanket with the letters of his name embroidered on it would be a sweet, useful and meaningful gift that can be used for a long time. Or maybe you could draw a cute picture and have it printed on a baby onesie.
    I don't really have any other ideas (there's also making stuffed animals, but it isn't that easy and requires some skills), but Pinterest must be full of such crafts. And I suggest you stick with deer for forest animasl, I've read the name Oscar is somehow connected with deer, so it would be cute.
    Good luck!
    Olympia
    Russian Lit student, bookworm, and arts geek.

Frances Bambi JaneEmmeline Twila AliceMagdalene Olivia Monet Esme Helena MazarineSibyl Jemima Iris
    Nathaniel Roscoe Wilde Grover Elijah St JohnOscar Ignatius Cosmo Robin Hector BarnabyAxel Isidore Sage

Quote Originally Posted by handsallover View Post
    Firstly, let me say your cousin and his wife have beautiful taste, I adore Oscar. As for crafts, I see you are an illustrator, but can you sew? I think a blanket with the letters of his name embroidered on it would be a sweet, useful and meaningful gift that can be used for a long time. Or maybe you could draw a cute picture and have it printed on a baby onesie.
    I don't really have any other ideas (there's also making stuffed animals, but it isn't that easy and requires some skills), but Pinterest must be full of such crafts. And I suggest you stick with deer for forest animasl, I've read the name Oscar is somehow connected with deer, so it would be cute.
    Good luck!
    Thank you! His full name will be Oscar Henry I'm not big on sewing, more so print/illustration and other traditional mediums (markers/paint/etc). I'm also good with hand binding and making books so I was thinking of something with that? I'm currently making my own version of the adventure book from the movie Up so I was contemplating making him a mini "Oscar's Adventure Book" with a forest theme. I'll have to look up the deer and Oscar connection!
    Devin | 23 | Married | Illustrator | US
    Momma of furbabies and collector of names
    Anime♥Fantasy♥Books
    Dreaming of...

Fox Thomas ● Caspian Vaughn ● Elijah Wolf ● Theo Beauregard
    Aria Estellise ● Elowen Davina ● Rose Cassidy ● Shiloh Fallon

Alaric ● Eden ● Kitt ● Leon ● Lyric ● Orion
    Arwen ● Cinder ● Elva ● Ember ● Fable ● Juliette ● Snow ● Thea

Bonaventure ● Corvo ● Leonidas ● Luxe
    Bianca ● Echo ● Elvira ● Jocelyn ● Sonnet ● Story ● Valkyrie

...suggestions are welcome!

My friend was in a similar situation a few years ago. She could draw pretty well, and her sister asked her to make something for her baby. My friend ended up sleeping over in their house for a couple days and painted a Noah's Ark mural on one wall of the nursery. Her sister loved it. I guess that's one idea (although probably not the most practical).

How about painting (or whatever medium you'd use...I'm not really that artistic) a lampshade or making wall stickers with the theme on it? Like a lampshade with foxes chasing each other or something.
    Currently liking:

Girls: Lydia Jeanette, Leah Christine, Aria Quinn, Anna Ruby

Boys: Asa Vincent, Peter Eliot, Anthony Nicholas, Paul Gregory, Luke Mackenize

Thinking about:
    Viva Lux, Luca Daniel, Lorenzo "Enzo", Adah Marie

One of my favourite poems, that I did up in a big frame for my daughter's room: http://www.scrapbook.com/poems/doc/28463.html (I've seen people add stuff to it, you could definitely jazz it up with forest animals or colours to match their theme)
    Love love talking names... my 'style' is more classic but I do love some surprising choices too...
    DD1 born April 2013 has a mainstream name honouring 4 lines of her heritage + 2 mns (2nd is my surname)