Names Searched Right Now:

Determining popularity

Hi. I am hoping someone can give me some feedback on popularity of names in general. For example, if a name ranked #200 on the popularity list in a given year, how many babies were given that name? How many kids would wear that name 5 years later in the same kindergarten class? Also, if you wanted an uncommon (or at least, unpopular) name, would you consider using a name that ranks around #400 this year if it were around #900 just five years ago? Could we expect said name to continue to jump quickly up the ranks or fall flat? Are there any real ways to figure this whole popularity list out? Thanks.

I can't help with the math side of this, but I think that I have a sense for what names are trending up and what names are trending down. For me, I consider things like theme, does the name fit into a major trend group like quirky almost-classic vintage, nature names, surname style names? Is the name similar to a very popular name? Is the name the name of any major character in an upcoming TV show or movie or book series?

If I wanted uncommon or unpopular I would look outside of the top 400, especially if the name had risen substantially like you're saying. You could also look into how popular the name is within your state.

We used to think as long as it wasn't in the top 100 it would give us enough creativity, but it can move up the chart so quickly I'm looking to stay closer to the 400s so my child does not hear their name often/ever. :-)

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, looking at state trends doesn't help us much as my husband is in the military, and we change locations often. I am thinking below 400 might suit my needs as long as the name is not rising. The names I am interested in, by the way, are Hattie and Elsie for a girl (both rising fast although lower in popularity for now) and Troy for a boy (around 250 but appears to be dropping).