Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Creepy Name Post

OK, I know it's not even October yet, but we're getting close.

I was actually inspired to start this thread because of reading about the new season of the TV show American Horror Story. That show is always a treasure trove of awesome names. This season includes Fiona, Delphine, Cordelia, Zoe, Queenie and Joan.

But beyond that...

Plenty of names are strongly associated with the horror movies they've been included in. Reagan and Damien for example, they have the connection but still work. Others are more remote like Freddie & Jason...maybe not a great sibset, but aside from that horror movies probably wouldn't come to mind. Some seem tragically tied to horror movies though...will Elvira ever be usable? Is Hannibal doable? What names are too tied to horror for you? Does it creep you out? Just seem silly? Is a connection to creepy stuff a total deal breaker and keep you away from names like Rosemary or Carrie?

The one name that sticks out to me is Malachi. I do love this Irish name, but it will forever remind me on the creepy red-head in Children of the Corn. I also associate the name Samara to the evil girl in The Ring.

Oh, fun idea for a thread, taz! I love Halloween and I love horror movies and books.

Damian is my SO's favorite name for a boy. He's loved it forever. I hated it at first because it was much too associated with THE Damien for me, but I've grown to appreciate it. I prefer Damian over Damien, but I'll decide which spelling I prefer if we ever use it. I'll just be sure not to use Thorn as a middle!

Some other famous horror movie characters off the top of my head:

Annie (Wilkes)
    Chucky (Charles Lee Ray)
    Cyrus (13 ghosts)
    Isaac and Malachi (children of the corn)
    Jack (Torrance) "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy..."
    Justify (Papa) and Cecile (Mama)
    Mary (Bloody) - when I was a little girl, we did Bloody Mary in the girls' bathroom and got in so much trouble when we went screaming down the hallway.
    Max (Cady)
    Michael (Myers)
    Norman (Bates)
    Patrick (Bateman)

I think most of those have namesakes that outlive their horror namesakes, or are common enough to not matter. Chucky, Malachi, and Norman are the only ones (for me) that I firstly associate with horror. The only one of those I like is Malachi, so I'm not sure I'd ever use them myself, and I'm also not sure how much of that is their horror namesake and how much is just not liking the name. I guess, if I think about Malachi, and whether I'd ever use it, the answer is no. It's too tied to the character for me, but I've warned up to Damian, so who knows.

If all you need is the first name to think of the horror character, they're probably too tied to the character. Carrie, Chucky, Hannibal, Freddie, Samara, Norman, Malachi, Elvira, Rosemary and yes, even Damien, are all names that are very tied to the character. I don't think that makes them unusable though. It just means you have to be aware that for the rest of their lives, people are going to make jokes about their name. "Rosemary? Had any babies lately?" *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* I think there are far worse things in life to deal with, but then, my name isn't associated with any psychos, serial killers or demon spawn, so what do I know?
    Considering...
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow ● Evadne Undomiel Snow ● Isabeau Jane Sophronia ● Lorelei Nimue Ondine
    Pandora Vivienne Swan ● Thisbe Octavia Wildrose ● Thora Ilythia Swan

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian Ithuriel Wilder ● Damian Rainer Sparrow ● Evander Ithuriel Sol
    Gwydion Alaric Hart ● Malachi Tristan Bjorn ● Phineas Robin Blaise ● Theodore Peregrine Llyr

our furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander

Samara is such a pretty name! I forgot about that one! It's funny cause that movie isn't that famous and it's a faded reference, but I would still think long & hard before using that name!

Sidney- Scream movies
    Nancy- Freddie movies
    Laurie- Halloween movies
    Barbara- Night of the Living Dead
    Rhoda- the Bad Seed
    Esther- The Orphan
    Gage- Pet Semetary

Gage is the only one that makes me think of the movies. The others have plenty of other references.

Great idea. Taz, will you write a Berry Juice guest post for us on this topic? And if not you, will someone else volunteer? Perfect for October!
    Pam Satran
    Nameberry