Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Leighton

Leighton

I much prefer this for a boy but it seems its gone to the girls? have you met girls/boys...how many?

Also, Rowan...another i prefer for a boy but don't want him in class with girl ROwan's

Thoughts?

I only know of Leighton Meester, the celebrity.

And I love Rowan, but I know a little girl with that name. And if I'm thinking of a male Rowan, I picture Mr. Bean.

I love Leighton, and Rowan as well!

I have only met 1 Rowan, (0 Leighton's) and he's 8.

However, the US and England+Wales stats for both are;

E+W: Leighton - 167th for boys, with 354 births, no data available for girls, meaning it ranked below the top 1000 with less than 36 births.

Rowan - 137th for boys, with 449 births, 573rd for girls, with 74 births.

USA: Leighton - 563rd for girls, and, recently fell out of the US top 1000 for boys, but had ranked 922nd in 2011

Rowan - 301st for boys, and 445th for girls.

So, going by the data, if you're in the USA, Leighton's gone for the girls, but isn't unheard of for a boy. If you're from the UK, Leighton's entirely team blue.

Rowan is a less obvious team blue choice, but it is definitely more popular for boys.

Personally, I prefer both for boys, and Rowena for a girl.
    haley-alannah. nineteen. lover of boybands and baby names.
    ~cause darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream~
    lists are currently under construction.

I know a guy in his late 20s with this name, even before Leighton Meester hit the scene I always thought his name was feminine due to it starting with Leigh-. though he pronounces it Lay-ton. (I dislike him strongly as a person so I never got around to actually judging this name as it will always be associated with him for me)

Well Rowan I was thinking was a girls name as I have only remembered ever heard it as a girls name recently, then I read lizben's comment about Mr. Bean aka Rowan Atkinson and yes it is definitely a male name. I'm not really into this boys name on girls trend but alot of these names I hadn't heard of/remembered hearing of so I automatically associate them with the ladies.

I've had a Leighton and a Rowan come through my class, both female, so those are my associations. Good, because they were really adorable kids, but very female to me

Jules

Clara Lily, Rose Madeleine, Belle (need mn), Tessa Charlotte. Lucy, Emma, Elsa, Maggie, Lena, Lily, Leah, Lila, Ella, Aria, Annabel, Ivy, Charlotte, Elizabeth, Talia
    Seth Alexander, James (need mn), William Samuel. Luke, Caleb, Leo, Liam, Samuel, Jacob.
    Loving life, God, my family, my friends, books, writing, the ocean and volleyball!
    "The most wasted of days is one without laughter" - E. E. Cummings