Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Is Carmel too Catholic?

I really like the sound and the literal meaning (garden) of Carmel. Is it too Catholic for a non-Catholic to use? Nameberry seems to think so but I'd like to hear some more opinions please
    Mother to miss Mila Arden and her brand new brother, Cato Bennett

I think it's fine. I would be more worried about the candy association, actually. I had to look at Nameberry's description of it to even know why it was considered a Catholic name, so a lot of people wouldn't even make the connection. That's just me, though. I'm not Catholic.

Mount Carmel is also a Biblical place. I'd say the name is associated with the Bible in general (or the candy) rather than any one specific religion.
    I know for myself if I heard a little girl called Carmel my first thought would be "sweet like candy" not, "They must be Catholic." (And I'm religious)

Rebecca, Sarah, Jacob and others are Jewish names...but I know plenty of non-Jews who use them. I'd say you're all set to name you baby whatever feels right to you.
    Isobel Yvonne "Belle" born 2/4/14

boys: Rowan James; Tobias Levi; Gideon Daniel; Judah Stephen;

girls: Lydia Dawn ; Violet Kathrine; Clara Ruby;

Guilty Pleasures: Fable; Story; Soren; Phoenix; Astrid; Azalea;

I wouldn't consider it exclusively Catholic though I wouldn't be surprised to hear it on a Catholic person.

The Hebrew pronunciation is kar-MEL which doesn't sound as much like KAR-m'l the slurred pronunciation of caramel candy.

http://www.kveller.com/jewish_names/display.php?k=668 Kveller doesn't seem to think it's a Catholic name either.

I do think I maybe like it better on a boy. I don't know if it's used on boys by Catholics, it's unisex in Israel.
    Last edited by stripedsocks; September 25th, 2013 at 08:30 AM.

By the candy association, do you mean caramel? Or is Carmel a brand name? I quite like that the word reminds me of caramel, so that doesn't bother me.

I would pronounce it Car-MEL too.
    Mother to miss Mila Arden and her brand new brother, Cato Bennett