Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Is Carmel too Catholic?

I really like the sound and the literal meaning (garden) of Carmel. Is it too Catholic for a non-Catholic to use? Nameberry seems to think so but I'd like to hear some more opinions please
    Mother to two lovely kiddos, Mila Arden and Cato Bennett

Currently dreaming of...
    Atlas Calloway, Atlas Bram, Atlas Octavian
    Lyra Marigold, Lyra Blythe, Lyra Clementine

I think it's fine. I would be more worried about the candy association, actually. I had to look at Nameberry's description of it to even know why it was considered a Catholic name, so a lot of people wouldn't even make the connection. That's just me, though. I'm not Catholic.

Mount Carmel is also a Biblical place. I'd say the name is associated with the Bible in general (or the candy) rather than any one specific religion.
    I know for myself if I heard a little girl called Carmel my first thought would be "sweet like candy" not, "They must be Catholic." (And I'm religious)

Rebecca, Sarah, Jacob and others are Jewish names...but I know plenty of non-Jews who use them. I'd say you're all set to name you baby whatever feels right to you.
    Isobel Yvonne "Belle" born 2/4/14

boys: Rowan James; Tobias Levi; Gideon Daniel; Judah Stephen;

girls: Lydia Dawn ; Violet Kathrine; Clara Ruby;

Guilty Pleasures: Fable; Story; Soren; Phoenix; Astrid; Azalea;

I wouldn't consider it exclusively Catholic though I wouldn't be surprised to hear it on a Catholic person.

The Hebrew pronunciation is kar-MEL which doesn't sound as much like KAR-m'l the slurred pronunciation of caramel candy.

http://www.kveller.com/jewish_names/display.php?k=668 Kveller doesn't seem to think it's a Catholic name either.

I do think I maybe like it better on a boy. I don't know if it's used on boys by Catholics, it's unisex in Israel.
    Last edited by stripedsocks; September 25th, 2013 at 08:30 AM.

By the candy association, do you mean caramel? Or is Carmel a brand name? I quite like that the word reminds me of caramel, so that doesn't bother me.

I would pronounce it Car-MEL too.
    Mother to two lovely kiddos, Mila Arden and Cato Bennett

Currently dreaming of...
    Atlas Calloway, Atlas Bram, Atlas Octavian
    Lyra Marigold, Lyra Blythe, Lyra Clementine