Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Is it really that bad?

Baby is due in three weeks and I'm still not certain on a name for a girl. Sitting at the top of my list is Betony, but I've been getting negative feedback for it because nearly every one prefers the much similar Bethany (also on my list). We plan on calling the baby Betty regardless of the full name we choose.

Is Betony usable or is it just too rare and similar to Bethany that it becomes confusing?

Full name would be Betony Gwen.

Thanks!

I love it, so unique!
    Latest list:

Girl: Lulu, Charlie, Fleur, France, Holiday
    Boy: Lennox (Lex), Hugo

Expecting my first.

I don't think it's bad. It's a very pretty name and a pretty flower. Having to spell your name is not the end of the world, and aside from legal documents your daughter would be Betony and wouldn't have to.

I don't think it's terrible, but it's going to be unfamiliar to almost everyone, easily confusible with other names, etc. Is there a reason Betony ranks higher than Bethany for you? I think if there's significance behind it, go for it. But, if you just like the sound, it may be better in the long run to go with the more familiar option. Ultimately, it's up to you. Is Betony worth the trouble?

All that said, Betony Gwen sounds lovely to me. Gwen is one of my faves.
    Mommy to...Maura Lucille

I had a baby today, I would name him/her...
    Patrick Donley or Brigid "Birdie" ???

BOYS: Seamus ???, Niall/Neil/Neal James
    GIRLS: Deirdre/Deidra "Dear" ???

I *much* prefer Betony. It's fresh and naturey, Bethany is too 80's for me. Also, Betony nicks down to Betty much more intuitively than Bethany does.
    Betony ftw 100%!
    (and Betty is adorbs)