Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Freya

I've never been able to get on board with Freya.

All I hear is 'fraidy and frayed and frail, it has a gasping feel to me and feels insubstantial.

I agree that the meaning and mythology are lovely, but I just can't get past the sound. Maybe if I met one it would change my mind.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

The sound is just ok. I too am usually a stickler for sound, but I love the vibe/imagery of Freya/Freyja so much that I don't even care about the sound. It's such a lovely, curling-wisps-of-smoke name, and sort of magical and evening-y. I heard a little boy call his adorable redheaded sister Freya in Target the other day and was like "yes! It's crossing the pond!"
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Odette Cosima Fionnuala Iphigenia Coraline
    Emmett Kieran August Malcolm Zephyr

I love it spelt Freyja or Freja - I think it just loses its magic without the 'j'!

GIRLS: Carlotta Miriam BenedikteMarguerite Airlie SusannahElisabet Ruth Frederica

Car Baby Tuppence Zosia Mabel-------------------------------Recent Fancies: Mads [boy] & Roxana [girl]

I love Freja/Freyja. Freja is the Danish spelling of it, so obviously that's close to my heart, but I prefer Freyja. In 2012, 514 girls were given the name Freja and it came in as #3 on the most popular names in Denmark in 2012. Freja is also the most well-known Norse goddess in Denmark. It isn't my favourite girls name from the Norse mythology (Sága is), but it's definitely up there.
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting old Danish names, Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Théoden "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Johanna Ivalo Galadriel "Anna" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise

And for the moment: Atticus Aksel Inigo • Aviaaja Cleopatra Hero "Avi" • Fabiola Agnes Lúthien

I've always loved it. It was on my list for so long, but I foresee it going onto the U.S. top 1000 soon, it's so popular in the UK, and I can't imagine it on a dark haired girl. Otherwise it would still be on my list. And even though it's so short, I could see Fey working as a nn.
    http://www.onceuponatimebabynames.com/
    http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9772380 (please vote!)

Due December 13, 2014 (12/13/14) It's a boy!
    Zorina, Faustine, Castalia, Vasilisa, Indrina, Calluna, Anaxandra, Hildana, Selenia, Lisandra, Satyana
    ... Alaric, Silvan, Alistair, Stellan, Rainer, Evander or Evren, Caspian, Soren, Theron, Sander, Sven