Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Freya

Freya

Did you notice how this name is quite popular now on this board?

What do you think about Freya? I will be honest. I don't like the sound not looks. But I like the meaning (lady) and I like the mythological reference. I'm usually big fan of sound and usually don't care for meaning, but I can't resist to Freya.

Here's couple of myths about Freya...

In the poem Lokasenna, where Loki accuses nearly every female in attendance of promiscuity and/or unfaithfulness, an aggressive exchange occurs between Loki and Freyja. The introduction to the poem notes that among other gods and goddesses, Freyja attends a celebration held by Ægir. In verse, after Loki has flyted with the goddess Frigg, Freyja interjects, telling Loki that he is insane for dredging up his terrible deeds, and that Frigg knows the fate of everyone, though she does not tell it. Loki tells her to be silent, and says that he knows all about her—that Freyja is not lacking in blame, for each of the gods and elves in the hall have been her lover. Freyja objects. She says that Loki is lying, that he is just looking to blather about misdeeds, and since the gods and goddesses are furious at him, he can expect to go home defeated. Loki tells Freyja to be silent, calls her a malicious witch, and conjures a scenario where Freyja was once astride her brother when all of the gods, laughing, surprised the two. Njörðr interjects—he says that a woman having a lover other than her husband is harmless, and he points out that Loki has borne children, and calls Loki a pervert. The poem continues in turn.

At the beginning of the book Skáldskaparmál, Freyja is mentioned among eight goddesses attending a banquet held for Ægir. Chapter 56 details the abduction of the goddess Iðunn by the jötunn Þjazi in the form of an eagle. Terrified at the prospect of death and torture due to his involvement in the abduction of Iðunn, Loki asks if he may use Freyja's "falcon shape" to fly north to Jötunheimr and retrieve the missing goddess. Freyja allows it, and using her "falcon shape" and a furious chase by eagle-Þjazi, Loki successfully returns her.

In chapter 17, the jötunn Hrungnir finds himself in Asgard, the realm of the gods, and becomes very drunk. Hrungnir boasts that he will move Valhalla to Jötunheimr, bury Asgard, and kill all of the gods—with the exception of the goddesses Freyja and Sif, who he says he will take home with him. Freyja is the only one of them that dares to bring him more to drink. Hrungnir says that he will drink all of their ale. After a while, the gods grow bored of Hrungnir's antics and invoke the name of Thor. Thor immediately enters the hall, hammer raised. Thor is furious and demands to know who is responsible for letting a jötunn in to Asgard, who guaranteed Hrungnir safety, and why Freyja "should be serving him drink as if at the Æsir's banquet."

Who Freya is...

The name Freyja is in fact a title meaning "lady", from Proto-Germanic *frawjōn, cognate with West Frisian frou, Dutch vrouw, Low German Fro, Fru, German Frau. The theonym Freyja was thus an epithet in origin, replacing a personal name that is now unattested. The connection with and possible earlier identification of Freyja with Frigg in the Proto-Germanic period (Frigg and Freyja origin hypothesis) is a matter of scholarly debate.

Like the name of the group of gods to which Freyja belongs, the Vanir, the name Freyja is not attested outside of Scandinavia, as opposed to the name of the goddess Frigg, who is attested as a goddess common among all Germanic peoples, and whose name is reconstructed as Proto-Germanic *Frijjō. Proof for the existence of a common Germanic goddess once known as *Fraujon does not exist, but scholars have commented that this may simply be due to lack of evidence.

Regarding a Freyja-Frigg origin hypothesis, scholar Stephan Grundy comments that "the problem of whether Frigg or Freyja may have been a single goddess originally is a difficult one, made more so by the scantiness of pre-Viking Age references to Germanic goddesses, and the diverse quality of the sources. The best that can be done is to survey the arguments for and against their identity, and to see how well each can be supported."

There's also possibility that Freya is...
    Outside of theories connecting Freyja with the goddess Frigg (see etymology section above), some scholars, such Hilda Ellis Davidson and Britt-Mari Näsström, have theorized that other goddesses in Norse mythology, such as Gefjon, Gerðr, and Skaði (Skadi like Scandinavia), may be forms of Freyja in different roles and/or ages.

I was thinking about Freya Melusine, Freya Marigold, Freya Bryony (or Freya Briony), Freya Winter (maybe someone else will chose this, as someone on this board consider this for his daughter), Freya Leontine...
    Tristan Gilbert°Robin Amaury°Leon Percival°Edmund Theoderic°Finn Beowulf°Magnus Oberon°Thorin Elliot°Edric Maximilian°Emil Orlando
    Freya Elysant°Belle Seraphina°Leda Cassiopeia°Briony Rosaline°Charlotte Romilly°Lotus Dorothea°Aurora Cecily°Sunniva Eliska
    vote for unusual names

I love Freya and would absolutely consider using it, except for the fact that my surname starts with F and I'm not sure how I feel about the alliteration. I love Winter as a middle name, it's probably my first choice middle for any name.

I love Freyja when it's spelled correctly (Freja, Freia and Frøya are okay as well). It's very popular in England so I don't want to use it as a first, but it's a middle name I'd love to use for my baby. I love that Freyja's Scandinavian like me, and that she loves cats and fur and feathers, all things I love too. I didn't read everything in your post as I know the Norse myths pretty well, but I think she's wonderful. All the Norse Goddesses are amazing really. I also really love her epithet Vanadis.

I like your combination Freya Leontine the most, but none of them make perfect sense in my head. But I know I'm slightly crazy about these things...
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

I love that the name Freya has connections with mythology...it makes it seem so romantic. As a name itself, I'm not sure it's my cup of tea. It sounds a bit like "frayed" to me. And, I used to know someone with a dog named Freya, so that may have put a damper on it too!
    Having said that, I think your combo of Freya Bryony sounds just magical!
    Isobel Yvonne "Belle" born 2/4/14

boys: Rowan James; Tobias Levi; Gideon Daniel; Judah Stephen;

girls: Lydia Dawn ; Violet Kathrine; Clara Ruby;

Guilty Pleasures: Fable; Story; Soren; Phoenix; Astrid; Azalea;

My names Freya and I'm Danish born and bred... :P Its an okay name. No one ever says anything negative about it. I don't think most Scandinavians really think aobut all the stories behind the name - I just think they think "Its danish, its old and it sounds lovely". xD