Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dagmar?

Question Dagmar?

So hi, I'm not trying to conceive or having children in any near future, but I'd like some feedback on the name Dagmar.
    I know my parents considered this beauty for me, when I was an infant (it got veto'ed because my great grandmother was still alive. Yes, this was their reason), but it has a huge soft spot in my heart, but it might not work international. I'm very into names that can be pronounced almost all over the world, as I might move or travel a lot. If you met a Dagmar in your country, would you feel sad for the little girl or think it was spunky? I just know so many, that thinks this is dated name and I should put it on my GP namelist.
    What do you think?

Possible usage of the name:
    Cassiopeia Dagmar
    Dagmar Astoria
    Ever Dagmar
    Dagmar Hekate (Love this one!)
    Dagmar Persephone
    Proud Auntie/cousin to;
    Silke (23-8-11), Sophia (18-11-11), Victoria (13-8-13) & Hopefully little Alex (due Dec!)

Dagmar Selene ~ Lystra Science ~ Linde Harriet ~ Oswald Seth ~ Laurel Bellamy ~ Ianto Lior~

As a name lover, it has a certain lilt to my ears, but I admit that dag has certain associations for me that might not be pleasant, see "dag: (subculture)" on Wikipedia since I don't think I can post a link. If you don't think you'll end up in New Zealand, this might not be a problem for you.
    若兰

I'm just a third-culture girl with an affinity for names.

In loving memory of Margot

I'm pretty sure I won't end up in New Zealand. xD - but thanks for letting me know. Dag means day, in Danish.
    Proud Auntie/cousin to;
    Silke (23-8-11), Sophia (18-11-11), Victoria (13-8-13) & Hopefully little Alex (due Dec!)

Dagmar Selene ~ Lystra Science ~ Linde Harriet ~ Oswald Seth ~ Laurel Bellamy ~ Ianto Lior~

You also wouldn't want to end up in Australia, as here 'dag' means a piece of poo that gets stuck to a sheep's coat, and a dorky/uncool/unfashionable person. As an Australian I just can't get past these negative associations and appreciate Dagmar and Dagney! The teasing would be merciless over here! I guess I'm just not in a position to comment on whether it works as a name in other parts of the world, where it very well might.

I think Dagmar is so beautiful! I love the meaning. I think I like Dagny more though because it sounds smoother. The whole name Dagmar is a bit heavy, but the -ny ending of Dagny lightens it up a bit.

Oh, and I'm glad to see more love for my dear Andromeda lately. I like your taste in names.
    DS: Warren Isaac
    Expecting #2 January 1st
    Leona, Andromeda, Martha, Mary, Antonia, Roisin, Juliet, Claire, Noelle, Delphine, Solenne, Valerie, Eve, Mireille, Victoria, Athena, Gillian, Nadia, Millicent, Calista, Anthea, Honora

Thomas \ Tom, Edwin, Edward, Herbert, Lawrence, Orion, Niall, Solomon, Glen, Graham, Donovan, Isaac, Dean, Joaquin, Ivan, Otto, Hugh, Somerled, Lloyd, Kurt, Oscar, Victor, Vincent, Ferdinand