Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brutal honesty for the names in my sig!

Yep, another brave soul looking for gut reactions.

Favorites? Least favorites? Suggestions for improvement?

We have a three syllable last name; imagining that may help the flow in a few instances.

---

*I know Talia Daphne is a bit of an outlier, but I was so proud of my hubby for coming up with an original middle name - which, as it turns out, has a very complementary meaning with the FN! (Referring here to the Greek form Thalia, since that meaning is my favorite, but the pronunciation was too elaborate for us. I also like the Hebrew meaning of Talia/Talya though.)

We'll ignore the fact that his inspiration came from the Scooby Doo character. Still proud.
    Married to my best friend since 6-30-11 ♥ Mama to two herding dogs, a wooly rabbit & a purring machine

Current favorite combos for the women-to-be: Rowena Claire (Winnie) | Amabel Jane | Lilias Eve | Helene Iona (Lena)

And the little men: Theodore James (Teddy) | Cedric Muir | Jude Peregrine | Henry Alcott

Lets see... Ive always been a big fan of Theodore, but not Theo. I just like Teddy/Ted better, but I get that its not for everyone. Leon and Silas I love a lot. Jude on the other hand. Ive unfortunately never really been a fan of it. I knew a Judith growing up, so Jude just sounds too feminine I suppose.

The opposite goes for Rosamond. It, and Romy, sound too masculine to me. But I LOVE Talia, Magdalena and Amabel (esp. if pronounced Ay-ma-bel instead of Ah-ma-bel). All around, solid choices!

I think all your choices are great, although with a 3 syllable last name a 3 syllable first name might also be alot.
    I have to say I love Amabel,its a GP for me and is just beautiful
    Willa Clementine Frost, born July 2011
    unknown bean, arriving November 2013

Well as for your girls, three of your choices are on my own list, so I naturally think they're wonderful. Rosamond is my favourite (though I do prefer it spelt Rosamund) and I think with Eve as a middle it is swoon-worthy. My favourite nn would be Rosie personally, but I think that Romy is adorable too. I have both Thalia and Tahlia on my list as I can't quite decide which one a prefer, so spelling it Talia sort-of evens that out. I've never been the biggest Daphne fan, but I think it sounds well with Talia. The other one on my list is Amabel. My nns for it were Mabel and Belle, but I think I'll just add Mae to that. It never really occurred to me before. I do think the name Rue sounds adorable, and Roo is one of my favourite nicknames (mostly for Rupert), but I can't get past the fact that 'rue' means to regret, and in English too, so the meaning isn't even hidden. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the idea of giving a baby a name that means regret. Magdalena is the only one not on my list; it's not a personal favourite, but it's very nice all the same. I think it sounds lovely with Claire.

As for the boys, I have Theodore on my list as well as Jude as a nn for Judah. My favourite Theodore nn is Teddy, but I really love Theo too. I've always adored the name James, so Theodore James sounds rather perfect to me. Not 100% sure on Jude Pascal though. I don't really know why, it just sounds a bit odd. I imagine it's just me though. Of the other two I like Leon Emmanuel the best, as I've never liked Silas. It just sounds slimy to me.
    My furry darlings ~ Bodie the border terrier & Portia and Penny the guinea pigs

Amabel ~ Beryl ~ Bryony ~ Cecily ~ Charis ~ Clara ~ Dinah ~ Flora ~ Georgiana ~ Ophelia ~ Rosamund ~ Sylvie ~ Tabitha ~ Tamsin ~ Violet

Arthur ~ Barnaby ~ Basil ~ Bertie ~ Darcy ~ Elliot ~ Felix ~ Fraser ~ Frederick ~ Henry ~ Monty ~ Rowan ~ Rupert ~ Theodore ~ Tristan

Thanks everyone.

I'm questioning Jude Pascal too now that you mention it. I think the problem is that Jude is such a laidback, carefree name, while Pascal is very serious and buttoned-up. It can be tough to find the right rhythm with Jude as FN though. I love Jude Elliot, but it does not work with our last name. How about Jude Bennett, Jude Kendrick, or Jude Kenneth? (The last two are honor names of some sort, and the -ic ending wouldn't get used more than once... if we used it here, then not with Silas.)

I totally get what you mean about Silas. I never liked it until I read about its meaning, which is perfect for us. I also read a description on this forum where someone described their "Silas" imagery as a warm, funny mountain man. I believe there were pancakes and wood stoves and such in that description. From that point I started to love it, and the nn helps a ton... but I still hesitate a little over the sound.

Honestly I prefer Sylvan (which is strange, because I'm not quite so fond of Sylvia/Sylvie for a girl). I'm just worried everyone would find it very feminine. Yes, Silas and I have a very complicated relationship. I'm glad it's not a first choice -- that would be Theodore (we might very well use Teddy, since it's hubby's favorite). But for a second son, it'd be a big contender.

Edited to add, we really do seem to have similar styles! I love Charis; I'm so happy to see it in your sig. Love Tamsin too. I wish Charis were more popular so I didn't have to worry about it being forever mispronounced.
    Last edited by shujayra; September 26th, 2013 at 03:52 AM.
    Married to my best friend since 6-30-11 ♥ Mama to two herding dogs, a wooly rabbit & a purring machine

Current favorite combos for the women-to-be: Rowena Claire (Winnie) | Amabel Jane | Lilias Eve | Helene Iona (Lena)

And the little men: Theodore James (Teddy) | Cedric Muir | Jude Peregrine | Henry Alcott