Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Names with the best imagery -- Your favorites

Sometimes I fall in love with names for the sound of them and other times for their meaning, but sometimes I fall in love with them just because of the wonderful image I get of the type of person someone with that name might be. It is always fun to have people comment on the imagery they have of my favorite names, so I thought it would be fun to get some discussion going about the names that have the nicest imagery to you! The imagery might be literal (such as thinking about warmth, sweatshirts, and the crunch of leaves when you think of the name Autumn) or totally unrelated (such as always picturing a girl named Lavender as splashing in mud puddles outside and making up sweet songs to sing to her dolls, or thinking of a boy named Drew as studious and withdrawn). I am very interested in hearing about the names you love and what kind of person or things you picture when you hear them!

As a note: I know that everyone's personality is different and that an Autumn might turn out to be an unfriendly, very serious person, that a girl named Lavender might not be able to carry a tune, and that Drew might be the most sociable, fun-loving person in his class. I guess the point is, no matter what kind of personalities my future children have, I want them to have names with pleasant mental pictures. I won't be tied to hoping my child turns out to fit the images I have of his or her name, but having one or more great pictures of the name just might be the deciding factor in whether I choose the name.
    Not expecting, just planning and building lists!

Oh, name imagery, definitely! I do it all the time : ) I sometimes wonder what I'd do if my child turned out to be the exact opposite of my idea, but that won't stop me, anyway. I'll name some of mine:

Damian: Quiet, well-read, intelligent, and somewhat inclined to day-dream
    Luke: Easy-going, with quick wit
    Peter: Down-to-earth, recognizes a good joke

Genevieve: Sweet, gentle, and loves to cuddle her favorite stuffed animal : )
    Eulalia: Over-the-top spontaneity, but not indecisive
    Perpetua: The extrovert. Laughs a lot, and likes to go on adventures

That's some of my name imagery, but my other names will not allow me to put them in a mold. It is incredibly aggravating.
    Jude Marius-Raphael Benedict-Charles Dominic-William Christian-Damian Joachim

Genevieve Reine-Caterina Lourdes-Madeleine Neve

Honor-Emilia-Afton-Maeve-Hermione-Balthasar-Noel-Arthur-Percy-Leonard

Ooh, this is really fun to read other people's name imagery! I love how you picture Damian and Genevieve -- very sweet. It's funny, I know a Luke who fits your description perfectly.

Definitely imagery is a very strong factor for me. I sort of like Anneliese - but all I can think of is a snobby little princess Anneliese. I have a very hard time imagining the name on anyone else.

Edith: A graceful little girl who is kind and proper, but somewhat shy.
    Summer: Extrovert, party girl. She's fun, funny, happy and lively. This name has a warmth and a positiveness I haven't so far found in any other name.
    Demeter: A plain-spoken, outdoor girl who is constantly running around. Soft, graceful and humble.
    Michelle
    Hi! I'm an Italian teenberry with synesthesia.
    Apologies for any grammar/spelling mistakes. I try my best.

@cloverish: That's funny, I have a very different picture of Anneliese! I see a sweet little girl who loves "reading" picture books and has a cute giggle. Imagery is funny, isn't it?

Also, I know what you mean about Summer being such a warm, happy name. Tough to beat!