Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lexiem View Post
    Honestly I thought you had mistyped Tristan. I fear this is a problem a Tristran is going to come across a lot. Tristan is rather popular for children at the moments - I think the mis-spelling issue is more prevalent because of that.
    I adore Tristan but if your friends are good friends, people you feel you would be friends with for the rest of your lives, even if they didn't live a block over. Then it is too close to Triston if you are worried about stepping on their toes. If they are friends of proximity - no matter how sweet and accommodating - I wouldn't worry too much about the names being too close. Chances are (if you are both military families) that one of you will be reposted in a couple of years and you will grow apart. In which case I really wouldn't worry about the names being too close. Honestly, if Tristran is THE name I would give them a heads up but I wouldn't ask for permission. It's the name your son will have for the rest of his life, and YOU need to love it.

Side stories: a) I grew up with two Scott's that were best friends and whose parents were close and they both loved the name - the boys thought it was amazing to have the same name as each other and I never heard from either of the parents that they had issues with the other boy having the same name. I wouldn't find it ideal but I also don't think it's insurmountable. b) in college our group of friends had a Katy and a Katie. We started calling them Y and IE and they loved it. We used to split teams by if you had a y or an i/e in your name - they always became team captains and we made a big joke out of it. You could do the same with TristOn and TristrAm. Or they are like Alpha and Omega. Find a way to make it cute and make them sort of equal instead of fighting over who has more ownership over the name and it doesn't have to be such a big thing.
    She is a friend of proximity, totally. We PCS'd here at the same time, so I figure we'll be living down the street from each other for the next two years or so. We probably only see each other once a week, tops.
    My husband's name is Schuyler, and he has been called Shoo-Ler by everyone his whole life, and hasn't really minded correcting people, which is why despite the fact I worry about the mispronunciations and confusion, he thinks it'll be fine and a Tristran would love his name like he loves his.
    Do you think Tristram would be less confusing? Or would it be the same issue?

Is Tristran from Stardust?

I prefer Tristram, which I really like. Unfortunately, I think that either Tristan or Tristram would be often confused for Tristan. It doesn't make them unusuable, but it would be something you would have to deal with if you were to use one of them.

I see Tristram as an older version of Tristan, and Tristran I heavily associate with the Neil Gaiman novel Stardust, so it just feels like a more recent invention to me. However, I think this might be a bit of a name nerd bias. I suspect that most people would probably see them as equally unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by nono View Post
    Is Tristran from Stardust?

I prefer Tristram, which I really like. Unfortunately, I think that either Tristan or Tristram would be often confused for Tristan. It doesn't make them unusuable, but it would be something you would have to deal with if you were to use one of them.

I see Tristram as an older version of Tristan, and Tristran I heavily associate with the Neil Gaiman novel Stardust, so it just feels like a more recent invention to me. However, I think this might be a bit of a name nerd bias. I suspect that most people would probably see them as equally unusual.
    Tristran is from Stardust.
    Even though it was technically invented by Neil Gaiman, I love the sound of it.
    I love Tristram too, but my husband is really pushing for Tristran.

It just looks like you misspelled Tristan. It is very awkward to say. I would keep looking.

I think Tristram is a little less confusing because it doesn't feel so much like a typo but a purposeful spelling.
    And yeah, as a friend of proximity, I don't think you need to change your name choices at all. Stick with what you love!
    Aurelia - Endora - Illyria - Lorelei - Merida - Ofelia - Penrose - Tabitha - Viola - Zenobia
    Alaric - Anton - Cedric - Dexter - Erich - Felix - Hector - Hendrik - Leonidas - Victor
    Engaged to the best Man in the World. (God-mama to Lawrence, a little bundle of sunshine).