Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Opinions on Tristran?

My husband and I are currently TTC, so we've been thinking about name options for both genders.
    My husband ADORES the name Tristran, and I tend to like it also, but I worry about how others would take it, because it is a bit awkward to pronounce.
    Also, my friend has a son named Triston (pronounced like Tristan) and I worry it would be weird if we chose a name so close to her sons, but we also are a military family, and will only probably be living near her for another few years. She's really overly nice, and I know if I ask her she will tell me it's totally fine, but I wonder what others opinions on this would be, as I think her need to be nice would overwhelm her need to be honest.
    Thanks!

EDIT: What about Tristram? Same problem? I really like that extra "R" for some reason..
    Last edited by ksilvia; September 23rd, 2013 at 03:15 PM.

I thought it was Tristram? I wasn't aware Tristran was a name.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    I thought it was Tristram? I wasn't aware Tristran was a name.
    It sort of depends on your definition of a name. It's from the book Stardust, by my husband's favorite author.
    I also like Tristram, which to me, still falls under the same issues of: Is it useable? Would he hate me for just not naming him Tristan? Is it too close to Triston?

I think most people will confuse this name with Tristan - I know I kind of did a double take when reading your post title. If your friend's baby is named Tristan, I think Tristran is way too close.
    ~ Mommy to Callum Rhys and Jack William ~

Girls: Eleanor, Meara, Louisa, Jane, Sylvie, Iris
    Boys: Edmund, Leland, Ridley, Beckett, Samuel, Donal

Honestly I thought you had mistyped Tristan. I fear this is a problem a Tristran is going to come across a lot. Tristan is rather popular for children at the moments - I think the mis-spelling issue is more prevalent because of that.
    I adore Tristan but if your friends are good friends, people you feel you would be friends with for the rest of your lives, even if they didn't live a block over. Then it is too close to Triston if you are worried about stepping on their toes. If they are friends of proximity - no matter how sweet and accommodating - I wouldn't worry too much about the names being too close. Chances are (if you are both military families) that one of you will be reposted in a couple of years and you will grow apart. In which case I really wouldn't worry about the names being too close. Honestly, if Tristran is THE name I would give them a heads up but I wouldn't ask for permission. It's the name your son will have for the rest of his life, and YOU need to love it.

Side stories: a) I grew up with two Scott's that were best friends and whose parents were close and they both loved the name - the boys thought it was amazing to have the same name as each other and I never heard from either of the parents that they had issues with the other boy having the same name. I wouldn't find it ideal but I also don't think it's insurmountable. b) in college our group of friends had a Katy and a Katie. We started calling them Y and IE and they loved it. We used to split teams by if you had a y or an i/e in your name - they always became team captains and we made a big joke out of it. You could do the same with TristOn and TristrAm. Or they are like Alpha and Omega. Find a way to make it cute and make them sort of equal instead of fighting over who has more ownership over the name and it doesn't have to be such a big thing.
    ...if my husbands has no vote, then....
    Endora & Lorelei / Dexter & Gideon
    ...we are newlyweds and not trying...yet...